Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The SHO V6 sucks ass huh?

This is coming out of a guy who wants to transplant an Aurora motor into a Focus so I guess I shouldn't take it too seriously.

The V6 SHO's were a pretty damn amazing car though.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
OK, what were the power output ratings fromt he V6 SHO motor?

like 200-220 right?

do you realize how many cars are on the market right now with V6's that have that much stock?

im sure it was bad ass when it came out, but theres much better options now.

and if you dont know anything about the aurora engine, which you obviously do not, then i wont take offence to you saying

"This is coming out of a guy who wants to transplant an Aurora motor into a Focus so I guess I shouldn't take it too seriously."

i've driven a SHO Taurus, and i've driven an aurora. the aurora is the better car, in accelleration, braking, and handling (as long as you dont mind body roll, right Omni? hehe)

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Originally posted by sh0velman:
(as long as you dont mind body roll, right Omni? hehe)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey, leave me outta this, I'd take the SHO over the Aurora.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I by far wasn't knocking the Aurora engine. I even caught the reference to Carol Shelby's Shelby Series 1. Its a good motor but who would think of switching an Aurora motor into a Focus? Feel free to show me up and get it done but this sounds a whole lot like a Focus with an SR20 DET in it. To each their own and enjoy your project.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
i was only mentioning that you seem to not mind body roll while racing your car.. heh.. oh well.

anyways, anyone who would take a taurus over the aurora is just sticking to thier 'tradition' ****.

theres no reason to pick a taurus over the aurora. in ANY respect except price. oh wait. werent the V8 SHO's like 32 grand? oh geez. that puts them at just a lil more expencive than an Aurora. oh shucks.

hahahaha

anyways this was not intended to be a Aurora vs. Anything thread. so lets try to stay on topic from here on out.

has anyone seen the engine and tranny out of the car? i'd like to see how shelby did the rear suspension on the Series 1... as that is the same driveline... anyone have any pics of it?

thx!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
well... heres my line of reasoning. so it doesnt sound so off-the-wall.

The main impedement to geting large power figures out of a focus (atleast from my line of thinking, and how i have been 'brought up' i guess you could say, without trying to sound like a hillbilly), is lack of displacement. now im not saying that ford should run out and stick 3L V6's in foci or anything, but plain and simple, to get hassle-free, daily-driven, reliable performance, how can you beat a large displacement V8? now i am in no way implying that small displacement, high-output engines are un-reliable, but it requires a great deal of work to get a 2.0L anything to make 250HP. and its damned near impossible to get it to make 260ft.lbs of torque (at anything below 4500 rpms anyways, as i have seen some turbo'ed setups that made upwards of 280, but it was at allmost 5000 rpms).

So anyway, a few years ago we got the Aurora, then a couple years after that we got the focus. and i was looking for a larger-displacement engine with a similar driveline to swap in to it in the distant future. i concidered the SVT Contour, the SHO taurus (V6, and V8), but then i remembered that the Aurora had a V8 in it (i didnt really know much about the car because i never drove it, and had never worked on it, i just rode in it with middle-aged drivers who would NEVER open the thing up)... BUT the problem is, it is too big to fit in the focus' engine bay (i think anyways, i havent actually measured)... well... what would be cooler than a mid-engine, RWD, Focus with a V8? (again, in my line of thinking). and it would not be that hard, in theory, to arrange the driveline and operate it... now actual implementation is whole different story, but in theory, this is a novel idea, in my opinion.

Now i know cross-brand swaps are frowned upon, but i have to admit. this is the only GM engine i would ever think about swapping IN to ANYTHING. much less my poor little focus.

but anyways, thats the method to my madness. just so you know.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
I didn't mean to shoot you down at all, I just happen to be a die-hard SHO fan, so I got a chuckle out of having my name mentioned.

In the end, it most certainly might be a worthy project. Naturally lots of fabrication is needed, but if somebody is willing to do it, then they will certainly reap the rewards.

The Aurora 4.0L V8 is an impressive piece of piece of engineering without a doubt, and being all-aluminum makes it even more attractive to install in a light weight car.

It isn't *my* approach to horsepower in a Focus, but that doesn't make it wrong!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
meh its all conjecture really. i wouldnt be able to afford, or want to, do this for a while. i got a few other priorities.

what about a v8 Lincoln LS swap?

hehehe that would be nice...... mmmmm......

·
Registered
501 Posts
well, earlier i mentioned the "keep it transverse in the rear" idea, but you didn't mention the exact way you intended to mount the engine in the swap. just that it would be RWD.

as for the Shelby Series One, it has as much in common as the engine in your Aurora as the engine in a Impala.

the Series One uses the majority of the old Old's Indy (IRL) engine (now rebadged Chevy)from racing (that engine is designed to be mounted longitudally) just detuned for better drivability.

yeah, it would be cool to see one mounted in the hatch area. and when ya get the time and money to do it. go right ahead it is your car. do with it as ya wish.

l8r, John

btw, you asked for opinions and that is what i stated

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
i have beent thinking about this....

my dad has a 1996 Oldsmobile Aurora, and i think it would be possible to transplant its drive train into the focus, in a rear-drive configuration..... what do you guys think?

for those of you who dont know, the aurora has a 4.0L DOHC All-Aluminum V8, rated stock at 250HP/260 ft.lbs. it has a transaxle, as the car is FWD, the track on the aurora is 62.5 inches, and on the focus is 58.2 (i belive). with some fender flares/wide body fenders i think that difference in track would be do-able.

what do you guys think?

Management: the thing could be controled by a pectel, or other engine management system right?

Linkage: its got an auto tranny, you would have to have linkages for the throttle (obviously), and gear selector, but im pretty sure that is just an electronic switch, not a mechanical selector, as the damned thing will upshift even if you have it in '1'. heh.

anyways, what do you guys think? any help would be appreciated.

thx

·
Registered
501 Posts
well, first off the engine oiling system will not function properly once you change it from transverse to longitudinal orientation. then there are the engine mounting points to be engineered. then try and find a auto tranny for a RWD application that will bolt onto the front drive motor....are ya starting to get the picture??

GM just about totally redesigned their Northstar engine (Caddy) for use in the up-coming SRX and Evoq to be used in a rear drive application.

unless ya got loads of money and alot of time, i would say not to bother tryin.

unless you intend to put it into the rear hatch area, then their are lot of other issues to iron out such as suspension geometry and sealing the engine from the occupant area so as not to get asphixiated(sp?) from the exhaust fumes but still have access for the maintenence.

again loads of money and time.

and another thing, why not try and use a Ford engine such as the SHO V-6 or V-8??

l8r, John

[ 04-04-2003, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: railman ]

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
i think you missed the point here bud.

keeping it traversely mounted, but just in the REAR.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
because the SHO V6 sucks ass.

the SHO V8 is a nice try, but no cigar.

the 4.0L Northstar-based Oldsmobile engine is magnificent. just ask Carrol Shelby

1 - 13 of 13 Posts