Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i was wondering in a zx3 focus what engines would fit in it? i heard something about a duratec or something? what car would that engine come from?

thanks

·
Registered
694 Posts
The duratec will also come from a focus, but that car is not on sale yet. It should be in California and New York this spring and the whole rest of the US in 2004. When that happens it will be a great swap. But until then..........

·
Registered
694 Posts
Sure, 302, 4.6 mod motor, V6 from a contour SVT, jet engine. You can make anything fit if you want to, but that is the only one that will drop into place and it's not out yet. Soon grasshopper, just be patient. We don't have Hondas here and ford hasn't done much small car platform sharing so we're kinda all alone.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what does a svt v6 from a contour involve? could you point me to web sites which talk abotu such a swap? thank you!

my friend has a golf with a vr6 and i would love that in my focus

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'm not being an ass here, I'm really not, but use the search function at the top righ of your screen. The reason I'm saying this is because there is a TON of info about the SVTC V6 swap here but you have to look for it. It's a VERY involved swap. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Blackbeard700,
I've got Duratec engines...2.0 and 2.3 liter, but no conversion parts if you want to keep it front-wheel drive. I am working with a company to make rear-drive and trans-axle adapters for racing gearboxes like a Webster or Hewland. Also bellhousings for rear-drive applications like race cars or street-rods.

Biker16, the moderator for the Focus News Forum, indicates there will be new parts available to convert the Focus transmissions once the new PZEV is available. The only other option would be to import the transmission from the European Ford Mondeo as it has had the Duratec for 4-5 years. You might inquire about details on the Forum at: http://www.duratecperformance.co.uk or http://www.minister-power.com

Write me if you are interested in a Duratec or another Zetec engine.
Regards,
Gerry

·
Registered
329 Posts
heres my opinion...although others will debate:

I wanted to do a swap for more power, so I searched different ideas...I thought of the V8 swap, the reason I didnt do this is because I could end up with insurance problems.

I thought about the V6 contour, but the fact that the engine would be pretty tight, which limits future power...basically there is no way in hell I would be trying to add a turbo to this engine later. Another problem to add to this is that I had no idea how the differnt modules would interact with eachother with the contour PCM.

So my final decision was to swap an SVT Motor in, alot of people will say "why Bother" but basically my reasoning was that it is already offered in the car, so parts are readily availible, and fit fairly good. The swap gives you an extra 40HP, and my personal opinion is that once we get some better control of the svt pcm and VCT controls, it might make a kickass car. I also like the 5 spd trans better, and was able to use this trans instead of the SVT 6 spd.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Originally posted by Bantha Fodder:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Dejomo:
So the only prob w/ the "old" 2.3L duratec's is the belwhousing bolt patern???
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Transmission-wise, yes.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">PM me for things you may not understand.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
The "problem" with the V6 is it ISN'T offered in a car that does *us* one bit of good. The 2.3 will have most, if not all, the parts without fabbing anything. This is of course once Ford makes them available in the Focus.

Plus, there will be a slew of aftermarket parts for the Duratec based Focus once the pipline opens.

·
Registered
745 Posts
first take a moment and throw any honda ideas outta here...any swap into a focus is not gonna be like dropping in a B18 for a b16...

the V8...major reconstruction
the V6...major mod minor reconstruction
the 2.3l...major mod...no reconstruction.

the 2.3l would be the best option because of the overall design...the only reason for the V8 or 6 would just be displacement...the 2.3l is very modable and if destroked to 2.0l very rev happy...easily spin to the tune of 9000-10000rpm...very nice. however its not just dropping in an engine and ecu....the intake and exhaust is swapped on the 2.3l the throttle body faces back these sensors are here and those sensors are there...everything is bassackwards...i mean its do-able...if you got a month to fabricate all the connections...but if you just want the car wait till april and buy it...save you the trouble and half the cash.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
I'm still planning on swaping a SR20DET Avenier 215hp FWD Japanese engine into my focus. Should fit relatively easy. Will require custom mounts, return fuel system conversion, ecu installation, halfshaft hybrids...

Its going to be sick
. Nothing like starting at 190fwhp.

·
Registered
383 Posts
definetely the RS engine is basically a zetec , with lower comp pistons and a colletion of diffrent tidbits , but it makes more hp then a sr20det , and parts will be more readily availible, i would never swap in a sr20det in a focus , i was happy to get away from japenese junk , not like i need their junk powering my car

·
Registered
383 Posts
it shouldnt be too difficult to install a turbo kit on your zetec , thats the way i would go if i was you , 200whp is very achievable with more to come with more mods, i dont see why you have so many people wanting to swap diffrent engines in, most people that swaped engines in civics was becuase their D series motors had weak blocks. if they coulda gotten the same results out of a d16 they woulda never swapped a b16 in their ...

·
Registered
383 Posts
but if you want to buy another engine , you can get a whole one for 750-800 bucks from .... http://www.focaljet.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=014022;p=1 (Thanx to toolebox for pointing it out) you can do countless thigns once you recieve the engine , the engines from my understanding are 0 mile engines with breakin oil still in them , great for starting a project or using as a backup, you can go ahead open it up put forged rods and pistons and forged mains and a forged crank in their turbo kit yaddayadaa be pushing over 500whp and you would always have a spare engine handy
and everything would bolt right in becuase its the same engine thats in your car

1 - 20 of 28 Posts