Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if you could mabey just jump a toothe positive on the intake cam. And retard a tooth on the exhaust cam. Would this gain me any power or would hurt my power. Let me no what you think?

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
One whole tooth is a MASSIVE adjustment in the world of cam advance/retard. It would result it poor running, emissions, and gas mileage.

You could however attempt to move the stock cam gears forward or backward a small amount and dyno in between. It is sort of shooting in the dark however, and repeatable results are very difficult to achieve.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
dont EVER try this...its definetly not worth it...and just dumb

get a set of cheap cam gears off ebay, STR cam gears are cheap and nice

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thats funny.... I was told that the stock cams were great for high boost, if properly timed by a person who knows what they are doing. As featured in the December issue of Sport Compact Car. 2002 ZX3, turbo charged.... 326 whp and 328 lb tor. at the wheels. stock cams

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Originally posted by Fusionimageracing:
Thats funny.... I was told that the stock cams were great for high boost, if properly timed by a person who knows what they are doing. As featured in the December issue of Sport Compact Car. 2002 ZX3, turbo charged.... 326 whp and 328 lb tor. at the wheels. stock cams
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is true, the stock cam gears work great with boost if adjusted or tuned properly. But the only way to do this correctly is with a set of adjustable cam gears. Jumping a tooth as described above would be way to radical of an adjustment and would most likely produce negative results. Because the cam gears on the Focus can be rotated on the cam's it's possible to tweak them without the use of marked / adjustable cam gear, but to tweak them this way would be a major PITA and a real stab in the dark.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts