Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The torque looks right since it only has 159 or something stock on the 250Hp engine but that Hp is way off and i mean way off

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
why would you have a break in fuel map? it dosent make any sense to run rich for the first X amount of miles. sounds like BS to me.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
it's NOT the automatic, that revs to 7200 rpm only and doesn't allow the second intake ports to open.

but these numbers (hp primarily) seem low low low.

maybe it's a fluke?

great. i really want one of these too.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Beside focaljet I also visit RX8club.com, where all this dyno talk is going on.

Here's what someone at Rotarynews.com who has contacts with Mazda was told.

"I talked with Kelvin Hirashi, Director of R&D at Mazda about dynoing the RX-8 on a chassis dyno. He said don't do it until well after 1000-2000 miles have been put on the car, and the engine brakes in. . . "Said" is even the wrong word, he "implored" me to brake it in first...

So, get out and brake those engines in, and then retest them at, say, 5000 miles."

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7976

·
Registered
316 Posts
<font color="blue"> from what i read in either superstreet or scc they sd that the 2nd intake ports were stuck closed and weren't giving the extra flow they were supposed to choking the engine at the high revs.....they then went on to say that most of the test publishers cars were having the same issues..maybe they were never resolved.....but i love them almost as much as the evo 8 </font>

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
there are absolutely no benefits to be had from changing fuel maps unless it is a learning process. like a stock program that adapts to operating conditions. running rich leaves engine deposits, and lean increases engine wear. what is the upside to doing either of those 2 things during a break in period?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
This is actually the 2nd time Mazda has gotten into trouble on misrepresenting HP figures. It happened before when the M2 Miata was released. Just like now, Mazda is offering disgruntled owners a rebate, or will take the car back.

I have to assume that they knew all along that the engine didn't meet specified levels of output. Hell, half the reason people are buying the car is because of the engine. It was foolish and irresponsible of Mazda to intentionally con customers into thinking they were buying something that they are not. Granted, they are saying the discrepencies aren't that large, but the dyno seems to say something else!

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
yeah, and this has got to be really bad for the reputation of the rotary. i mean a lot of us, including myself, love that engine, but to take a gamble and bring it back onto the market in front of consumers who never really took to the idea of a rotary engine, and now this happens? not good for business

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I think the new model will have engine updates to fix this problem and a turbo option, but that's just me

1 - 20 of 20 Posts