Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to see how radical some of the timing is out there. And I want to see where people are finding their power, either in advancement or retarding. I hope to see some patterns emerging, like majority of people are retarding, retarding both intake and exh., and the exh. is usually retarded more than the intake cam....etc etc. Lata

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
sorry man, it wont happen w/this setup due 2 its complete lack of an indexing reference. there is nothin close 2 a universal consensus on where the power makin settings r.

-Ult

[ 03-18-2003, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well maybe not a definative pattern, but i know i see more people say they get power by retarding than say advancing. I am just curious.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
The focus has good low and mid RPM power, retarding cam timing tends to move peak power further up the RPMs. I have my car tuned to run it feels the smoothest. My idle was crap @ 0,0 with a bit of experimenting I've settled on -3,-6. It's got good low end power and pulls strongly to 6k and has a real nice idle.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
-3453535, +2355325

thats gonna help you as much as what my real setting is

sorry dude, no such thing, cause, literaly, each car is different from the factory, and even if unoticable to the naked eye, 2-3* is everything, and yet very small....just dyno it, no point in putting cam gears on a car with no tuning...NONE

·
Registered
208 Posts
Best setting also depends on the cams. We made good power by retarding the stock cams, but with the crane #12 cams our best power was close to 0/0. Fortunately the Crane cams made more power at 0/0 than the stock cams did at their best setting.

Dyno Time: it is essential to get the most from the cam gears.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Stock Cams

+1 -3 was the best over all gain. 0, -5 has the best peak but low and mid suffered most of the curve so I went with the +1 -3 set up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
At 0,0 124 whp,126 wtq
At -7,-8 142 whp, 146 wtq

This is crane "stage two" 0012 cams and a bunch of bolt ons.

Roger

[ 03-19-2003, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Jet powered go-cart ]

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Crower stage II's, many dyno tune runs, ended up best all around curve at 0/0.

Ewww. Guess you had to find out the hard way.
I had mine at ex+3, in+4 but set it back to 0,0 cause I like the feeling with crane 2's.

·
Registered
112 Posts
what do you guys think one tooth on a stock cam gear is euqual to in retarding and in advancing. i was thinking about just tring to slip my stock cam gears a tooth advanced on the intake cam and a tooth retarted on the exhaust cam. any insight on this would be great. mabey i could even go 2 teeth. i dont no? what do you think.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by belnaper:
what do you guys think one tooth on a stock cam gear is euqual to in retarding and in advancing. i was thinking about just tring to slip my stock cam gears a tooth advanced on the intake cam and a tooth retarted on the exhaust cam. any insight on this would be great. mabey i could even go 2 teeth. i dont no? what do you think.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think moving the gear a whole tooth would be too much of a change. Adjustable gears give you more of a fine tuning ability.

·
Registered
375 Posts

[ 03-19-2003, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: 1BadEgg ]

·
Registered
375 Posts
Originally posted by 1BadEgg:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Forgot to mention, it gave me WHP of 146.1 and max torque 133.2. Torque was a little low compared to some, but like the high end pull.

[ 03-20-2003, 07:10 AM: Message edited by: 1BadEgg ]

·
Registered
208 Posts
Originally posted by belnaper:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Take 360 (degrees) and divide it by the number of teeth on the cam gear. Thats how many degrees 1 tooth is.

[ 03-20-2003, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: techguy ]

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Stock INT -4 EXH -6
Crower Stage II's INT -0 EXH -1

·
Registered
394 Posts
Each cam timing gear has 40 teeth. The crankshaft rotates 720 degrees for 360 deg of cam rotation.

One tooth of the cam timing gear = 360/40 = 9 cam degrees.

One tooth of the cam timing gear = 720/40 = 18 crank degrees.

When you report your timing you must specify what units you are using !! Cam durations listed in the 100-120 degree range are in cam degrees, but if listed as 200-240 degrees are in crank degrees. 110 cam degrees = 220 crank degrees.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts