Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok yesterday my failed attempt to install a nice early 2000 ported intake manifold...well I knew this we going to be more trouble than I wanted to deal with so Im gettin it installed tmr by my mechanic..anywho..I put everything back together and now my car has no power
and it sounds ugly! It sounds like a VW old bug real loud and full bumble bees..really bad....

I plugged everything back into the car..I didnt get very far...The TB is nice and snug gaskets..intake tube..etc...now the only thing I can think of is something to do with the fuel?? I had to depressurize the fuel system by pulling out the fuel pump fuse...plugged that back in..ever since then I have no power and it sounds ugly...Any tips on what to try?? I reset the ECU 3 times...and the CEL comes on not even 10 miles later...and it flashes at me..just doesnt stay on..Im used to the CEL cause I have no cat..but a flashing cel??is a first for me..thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
Let me know what you find out Vince. I'm looking at a ported manifold as my next mod.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Is the car surging? If so, it is a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok...since Im gettin the new one installed tmr I will just drive around like that for a tonight..It will be ok right?? Im just slow as hell and sound nasttty??
thanks alot everybody!

·
Registered
591 Posts
vince who is your "mechanic" or are you going to joe? oh yea

next sat night im gonna be at mikes house he is installing my cams i dunno how far it if from your place but if you can come by

BUT IF IT IS TO FAR I UNDERSTAND NEWSPAPER MAN

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
hmm... i used to have the blinking CEL and the cause was the 3rd plug wire wasnt pushed in all the way. Try taking them all off and putting them in one by one making sure they push down all the way. This was after a cam install though.

Doubt that you had to mess with the wires to install a stock manifold though

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by zx3ford:
Let me know what you find out Vince. I'm looking at a ported manifold as my next mod.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Will do man! Actually I should have rephrased the title..the new intake mani is not at fault here...It never made it on the freakin car!!
damn I wish I was stronger

I can tell you this! Just at a glance from the opening of the current 2001 manifold where the TB connects..damnn!its way way more restrictive in design like big time! theres this big ass lump right where the air enters..and on the early 2000 its nice and straight down and all smooth to the tune of a 65mm bore with some help of a dremel

Also we will finally see! what this thing really adds followed by a dyno..Im just gonna install the new manifold and then go do dyno the car as is with no tuning..to see what the manifold alone added...then installing a 70mm pro flow and see what that adds..then finally! tune tune tune! I will no doubt hit 150whp with this new intake setup after tuning..no chip and no head work
I promise you this!!!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
can the vacuum leak be due to me breaking my harmonic balancer?

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
Yeah I was thinking that after this mod I'll be a little over 150 as well. More than enough to have alot of fun.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by zx3ford:
Yeah I was thinking that after this mod I'll be a little over 150 as well. More than enough to have alot of fun.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Its never enough man!! but yes 150whp will hold me over untill next summer when the heavy head, fuel, and tranny work come in....mmm LSD,new clutch,new synchros,rear brake conversion..mmmmm..I plan to keep this car for a long long time this is why Im trying to get rid of every damn OEM ford part on this car...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts