Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I had the 40K service and the Ford Dealer service advisor wanted to sell me a power steering fluid flush & fill for $80. I didn't have it done because I have never heard of anybody changing the power steering fluid in a car. I also called the mechanic who took care of my Probe GT for 7 years, and he told me the only time he ever changed power steering fluid was when he changed out a major component such as a pump or rack.

The service guy said the fluid was "a little dark" and that's why he thought it should be changed. I looked at it, and it does look (and smells) more like gear oil than the kind of power steering fluid I'm used to seeing. So my questions are: What kind of power steering fluid is in my 2002 SVT Focus? And what is it supposed to look and smell like?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I just used regular power steering fluid on my SVTF, it was clear and smelled kinda like paint thinner or something.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can use mercon 3. Its basically the same thing as the ford power steering fluid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Book recommends Mercon as others have said. Mercon is red. Not sure what it smells like... nasty chemical smell.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Be sure - Mercon ATF is not the same thing as ordinary power steering fluid. Mercon ATF is Automatic Transmission Fluid. They have different properties and probably should not be interchanged.

**93,000 miles and still going strong.**

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thats a money maker at dealerships. No need to "flush" your power steering fluid.I work at a Lincoln-Mercury dealership,advisors always push that on the old people. Do YOU see anything in your owners manual on "FlushingPower Steering fluid"?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've heard of different people doing different things to flush the PS fluid but this is what I did.

I removed the PS reservoir from its bracket and took off the return line coming from the rack. I then connected it to a clear line with a brass tee fitting and dumped it into a small barrel I have.

Not the prettiest solution but it works very well in flushing everything out.

Then start the engine and pour new fluid into the reservoir while the old stuff is drain out the return line. Just be sure to use a large open top container to pour the new PS fluid in. The PS pump will drain the new fluid you’re pouring in very quickly. The pump will drain the reservoir too quickly to use normal bottles of PS fluid hence the large container. I used around 3 quarts of fluid to flush my car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just did my own a couple weeks ago because my stupid ass hastily poured coolant in my PS resevoir.

Its really simple. There is a feed and return line on the resevoir. I believe the feed (suck fluid out of the resevoir) is the larger tube and the return is the smaller tube. -Somebody can confirm or deny this-

I jammed a LARGE funnel into the feed tube and duct taped the funnel to the rain tray so that it wouldn't flop over and spill. The return tube went into a clear platic milk carton. Pull your coil pack connector and the fuel pump fuse (#13 iirc). Fill the funnel up with Mercon ATF. I used Mercon 5...I'm sure any Mercon ATF will do. Then turn the ignition on for short bursts (1-2seconds) while turning the wheels lock-to-lock and keep checking the fluid level in the funnel. This way the pump won't suck all your fluid down too quickly. Refill as needed. Pump through fluid until the fluid going into the milk carton is nice, clear red. Its useful to dump the waste once in a while and use a clear recepticle so you can see if you are getting clean fluid out. When its all clean let the pump take the fluid into the tube a short ways and connect eveything back up. Top it off and run some 60mph entrance/exit ramps to make sure all is well in the world.

I wouldn't pay $80 for somene to do it. Cover your pretty painted parts with towels so you don't get fluid on them. The auto parts shop will probably take your old fluid, too.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
my buddy made this filter from one of those water filters that you put under your sink
and hooked it up inline
it filters out all kinds of crap

·
Registered
96 Posts
The manual just says Mercon ATF, so I imagine any Mercon will work.

The way I figure it, the different Mercon types have more to do with automatic transmissions than power steering systems, since AT system are more complicated. Mercon V is meant for Ford cars newer than a certain date, like 1998 or something...but again that probably has more to do with transmission design.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was a little low on power steering fluid so i topped it off with some PS fluid i had laying around. Was this a bad idea, and should i flush my PS system??

Kurt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts