Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like a complete tard.

In my haste I accidentally topped up the power steering resevoir with coolant rather than power steering fluid. In my defense, it was my first time adding any fluids to this car, and the PS resevoir looks much like the coolant resevoir on my VW. Whoopee. I only put in maybe 6 ounces of coolant. Ha! I only realized it after two weeks after I changed the oil and said, "Damn. Thats not a coolant cap!"

How hard is it to do a power steering flush on an SVTF? I've done them on my VW, and they are not too hard aside from getting fluid all over myself.

Could anyone give my a quick run-down of the steps? And let me know if there are any special tools needed?

Thanks a ton. I'll just bring it in if its a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
It shouldn't be that hard. I know my dealership uses Wynn's Power Steering treatment and flushing solutions. If anything, I believe they may have a normal retail kit you could probably buy and just follow the instructions.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
if you havent started the car and cycled the coolent, you can just dump out the resevoir.

If you need a flush, here is my method. you need 2 milk jugs, some duct tape, and a few bottles of ATF. Dump out the resevoir and then disconnect the hoses. IIRC, the small hose is the feed and the larger the return. cut the bottom off one of the milk jugs and tape the feed hose into the mouth of the jug. Hang it up or hold it in place and fill it with the new fluid. take the return hose and tape it into the mouth of the uncut milk jug. run that to the floor or just down. Remove the fuel pump fuse and disconnect the coil harness. Crank the engine a few times and check the level on the fill jug. keep doing short crank sessions untill you've pushed at least 1L of fluid thru. reattach the hoses to the resevoir and fill it with new fluid. reattach the coil harness and fuel pump fuse. You should be good to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts