Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I posted this in the Tech forum, but thought I'd post here as well.

----------
I feel like a complete tard.

In my haste I accidentally topped up the power steering resevoir with coolant rather than power steering fluid. In my defense, it was my first time adding any fluids to this car, and the PS resevoir looks much like the coolant resevoir on my VW. Whoopee. I only put in maybe 6 ounces of coolant. Ha! I only realized it after two weeks after I changed the oil and said, "Damn. Thats not a coolant cap!"

How hard is it to do a power steering flush on an SVTF? I've done them on my VW, and they are not too hard aside from getting fluid all over myself.

Could anyone give my a quick run-down of the steps? And let me know if there are any special tools needed?

Thanks a ton. I'll just bring it in if its a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
This worked well for me and was easy.

Move the coolant resevoir out of the way (leave the hoses hooked up).

Jack up both front wheels.

Unbolt the power steering resevoir. Disconnect the bottom hose (return line) and place on top of a 1 gallon jug. Cut hole about 2/3 the way up and insert the return line hose.

Unplug the excitor wires from your coil pack. This will let you turn the car over w/o having is actually start and run at 1k rpms.

So now, someone maintains the new fluid in the resevoir while the other person cranks the motor over while turning the steering wheel lock to lock. I actually did by it by myself.

Good luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, I have to bump this again....

Where exactly is the coil pack connector that you unplug before you do the flush? Is it the connector on what looks like a distributor where all the plug wires connect? This is the first car I've had with coil packs, so I'm unfamiliar with how all this fancy-schmancy stuff works.

And no, I haven't been driving around this long with coolant in the steering...I've been driving another vehicle.

Thanks for any info...a pic would be fantastic.

----> Karl

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
dont forget the to pull the fuel pump fuse. You dont want raw gas pooling up in the cylanders while you crank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts