Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I put the JRSC on a few months ago...power steering goes out. Ford replaced it under warranty.

Last night it went out on me again. When I say it went out on me, I mean to say that there is a leak (a big one). I'm not expecting Ford to pick up the tab on this one. My question is how might the S/C affect the p/s pump. Obviously its all on the same belt...but does adding the s/c speed up or slow down the revolutions of the pump? How would this cause problems? I guess another question is....if its leaking it might not have anything to do with the revolutions at all and maybe when I'm shifting hard the engine is rocking too much causing piping to break loose. Motor mounts needed possibly? Any ideas? Oh yeah, one more question...how much does the power steering pump/piping cost anyway?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Is the pump going bad, or are the lines bursting? I know there's a European TSB out regarding a power steering line that likes to get rubbed raw. Apparently there's a better way to route the line which Ford is now recommending.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Re: Power Steering toast again but have a question

Mine broke right at the fitting on the bottom of the pump. It is the line with the pressure sensor in it. You can't even see the crack but you can blow air through it... I don't see any way rubbing could have caused it. On the other end of the line it snakes over the axle and behind the tranny on the drivers side. Mine had no signs of rubbing but I could see that some could.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, that is exactly what happened the first time....but Ford had to replace the whole setup for whatever reason. I don't know if it is the same thing this time because I haven't had it off the ground yet, but I'll let you know.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Re: Power Steering toast again but have a question

They probably changed the whole thing because if you don't stop almost right away you'll empty all the fluid out. No fluid = burned pump very quickly. I stopped and still had p/s fluid left.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts