Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, I drove to my parents house and when I pulled into the driveway it suddenly got harder and harder for me to turn. I backed it up and found a huge puddle of power steering fluid on the ground
. Looks like the hose busted, my friend that works at ford took it in for me today.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Doesn't seem to be too common, but I have noticed a couple other people have similar problems. Mine went out at about 3k miles. The steering kept getting a little heavier and heavier but I thought it was just strong cross winds from a storm that night. About 2 miles from home after I'd drove on a nice 260 mile round trip I saw sparks flying in the rear view mirror and the check engine light on. Coasted a mile down hill into a parking lot and found that the power steering system had pumped itself dry spewing fluid all over the engine bay and the pulley shaft sheared off.

Don't know if the hose leaked first on mine and then the bearing in the pump seized or bearing seized and massively overheated the fittings attached to the pump. Also, if the fluid got all over the place on yours, have them clean the alternator, check the brake pads on that side, and make sure to clean or replace the sound deadening pads.

·
Registered
993 Posts
cool, another p/s failure victim

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah but doesn't everyone who has that problem have the JRSC??

·
WRAWRRR, BEAR CLAW!
19,258 Posts
Um, well, the SVT Comp car's PS died on the way back from FOTB yesterday, started leaking fluid as we left SLO, and finally seized and fell OFF on the 101 in Carpinteria (ask TribalFocus, it hit his car, lol, and puked fluid all over our ZX3).

Not an uncommon problem, it seems.

All early model SVT owners, check your systems, from what I gather there was a running change to fix it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
<font color="blue">I had mine got out about 2 weeks ago, I think this problem is more common than we think. Maybe it is time for a survey?? </font>

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Reading stuff like this is just depressing.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Reading stuff like this is just depressing.
No, the computer print out I got from my service advisor today detailing the warranty work that's been done on my car which completely fills four full letter-size pages is depressing!

And that's not counting the four repairs/broken stuff it went in for today. As I've said before, love driving the car and still do, but I've drove an 18 year old Chevy Citation for the last 9 years that's been more reliable...

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yes it is VERY depressing. Since I have had the JRSC, this is the 2nd time the p/s steering has failed. This is off subject, but my warranty history goes back a loooong way also. I have too many miles for an official lemon, but I'm going to see what I can do anyway because it has been ridiculous. I'm at the point where I'm ready to start selling the few parts I have and get rid of her.
For a NEW SVT of course

·
Registered
993 Posts
The pump itself failed twice? No kinks in your shortened PS hose?
PS hose? What PS hose? I thought the JR instructions said we wouldn't be using that part anymore

No...no kinks. It is apparently the fitment at the bottom of the pump that keeps going. Same thing that happened to Bluetoy. I'm assuming hard driving/bumps could knock it loose? I have no idea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts