Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some power tuning of my cam gears this weekend and was questioning a couple of things. First is my method of testing. I used a stop watch and did third gear acceleration timing runs from 2800 rpm. to 6400 rpm. I did two runs with cams set at 0,0 to establish a base line. These test were done back to back on a very quite section of interstate so no laws were broken. The adjustments I made to the cam gears were done in 2 degree increments. Back to back runs on the same section of road after each adjustment. After four different adjustments I found one setting that knocked off 2 tenths from all the other settings, intake at 0, exhaust at -2.

First question: Without going to a dyno, is this a valid method to get in the ball park.
Second question: Are 2 degree adjustments too big? Should I have done more tests with smaller adjustments?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
purpose of a dyno is to take as many variables outta the equation. field testing is good (its y we do it). however for the purposes of tuning the car on that fine a measure...there are too many variables that will affect your runs.

-Ult

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
dyno it. If you shop around you can get a one hour session for about 100 bones. I tuned my cams 18 times in 45 mins. If you're already familiar with adjusting them u can too. Shouldn't take that many tries, I was just tinkerin. You won't see any drastic changes unless you're way off at 0,0. like a tooth off by accident. I gained 4 hp and 6 ft/lbs by dyno tuning. Probably not even a 10th in the 1/4. Good luck, sounds like you've got the right idea. Lata

g

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dyno's here cost $140/hr. That's why I tried power tuning.
Does it matter which cam you optimize first, intake or exhaust? Should I use smaller than 2 degree adjustemnts?

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
i would work in 1 degree increments.. the intake also seems to play a bigger role in power than the exhaust.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Here's why I belive in dyno tuning.

I'd tried tinkering with my gears for a couple of months and I had my car where it felt really good. I'd tried similar timing techniques and was pretty happy with my car, I then took it down to FocusSport
I felt like I had a new car when I drove home. Sure you can look at the numbers and say I only gained 9whp, this is true (though find another way to pick up 9whp for $100) but look at the difference at 6700

·
Registered
556 Posts
dang it you guys just want me to spend $$ hu??

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Here's why I belive in dyno tuning.

I'd tried tinkering with my gears for a couple of months and I had my car where it felt really good. I'd tried similar timing techniques and was pretty happy with my car, I then took it down to FocusSport
I felt like I had a new car when I drove home. Sure you can look at the numbers and say I only gained 9whp, this is true (though find another way to pick up 9whp for $100) but look at the difference at 6700
When you buy cam gears factor in the money for dyno tuning as well. It's kinda like these kids that buy body kits, then dont have the money to paint them afterwords.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts