Ford Focus Forum banner

"PRE"-TSB SVT Clutches?

1K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  svtf02red 
#1 ·
Any of our sponsors have any "PRE"-TSB aftermarket clutches (stage 3'ish, preferably with a kevlar disc). I know those hats aren't made anymore but I've got a pre-TSB aluminum fly that I'd like to use, but it looks like its just going to be an expensive paperweight.

#2 ·
*crickets*

#7 ·
So the new designs are a completely different size altogether and cannot be altered to fit the pre-TSB flywheels, or vice versa?

#9 ·
That's exactly why I asked the question Steve. Dick move by the manufacturers if that's the case. I have a Clutchnet 12lb aluminum flywheel and I guess its now just a paper weight, can't even sell the damn thing anymore. FAIL

#10 ·
Pretty much. If you bought a Clutch Masters setup in the last 3 years or so, you'd be able to purchase a replacement disc or plate for that FW. I imagine the dudes at Spec would have done the same with theirs.

I know Fidanza has been blowing out FW's on ebay lately that used the old style setup, leaving the consumer with a pretty wall hanging or basis for a killer clock.

I blame Ford really, or maybe Sachs, who if I recall correctly actually made the original stuff.

It's imagine they disco'd it because it was flawed - the design was fraught with issues.

#11 · (Edited)
Ford knew they had produced them with an undersized, basically flawed clutch and decided to supercede it to a newer, better design.

Nothing is stopping the aftermarket companies from producing replacement parts for the original SVT clutches. :dunno:

I helped my neighbor install a new clutch in his early 90's Dodge diesel truck and he went through several aftermarket clutches before he found one he liked.

All that said, I'm still on my original clutch with 106k on it and I know of guys over 200k on original SVT clutches.

#13 ·
Yeah but I'm not working with a dual mass flywheel, that's why I'm pissed lol.

#15 ·
Wait, so the new updated OEM flywheel design is not a dual mass at all?

#17 ·
If you have a pre-tsb diameter Fidanza, you can have it altered by the guys at Southbend to fit up to one of their Audi PP/Disk setups. They refer to it as their "Rally" clutch kit. Everyone I've spoken to who's running it, LOVES it. This will be the route that I will be going later this year. 99dot is running one on his turbo SVT that's putting down 300+hp & torque and is having zero issues. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.