Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is for anyone that is running the PTE kit. Is it about as big as you can fit under the stock bumper, or do you think you could have fit a larger intercooler there? The no-flow and cold-flow dimensions seem to be at max, so i'm mostly wondering about hot-flow.

After seeing how tiny my AC3 intercooler is under the bumper, i'm looking for the largest i can get my hands on and still make it fit w/o cutting once i go to my diy kit.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, there is such a thing as too big, but you won't reach that with anything that you can stuff under the stock bumper i'm pretty sure. That will also depend on how much boost you're running, of course.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
It fits under my Euro bumper very tightly, so with a regular bumper, you probably have a decent amount of room to work with.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Well you're not going to want to change the length of it. Your'e going to want to change the height, if any dimension, and really there isn't much room to play there. Anything nearing 8 or more inches is going to be very tough to mount.

You could go a tad thicker, but anything over 3" will be tough to fit.

Length shouldn't be over 18". Anything longer than an 18" core, efficiencies go down big time!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Somebody's got a very long and short intercooler under the bumper, but I can't remember who it is. It fits okay that way, but as Bela pointed out, you've got to watch your flow losses. If you use really low-density turbulators, you can minimize the pressure drop, but then you obviously won't be cooling the charge as well.

The Focus is ideally suited for using a humble FMIC, but for big power needs it's always looked like a huge PITA to me. If my FMIC wasn't up to the task, I'd probably use a water/air unit. And if this is a DIY job, a water/air intercooler can actually be cheaper than a FMIC, depending on what's available at your local junkyard.

Didn't Tekin do something with an old Subaru water/air intercooler a few months ago? I remember seeing pics of it.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I contacted precision about that intercooler, they sell it for $249+shipping. Not too bad if it saves me the trouble of fabbing up a bracket for it. Now just to find out if it's efficient up to 300whp.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Wow, that's a pretty good price.

It won't be a simple drop-in replacement, though, will it? Won't you need to modify your IC in/out pipes?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, absolutely, i'm not keeping the AC3 kit. This is for my DIY kit that's in the works right now.

And Rod at Precision just got back to me. The IC is good up to 350hp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts