Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok can somebody give me a run down on how to properly prep my fenders for paint i think i have everything needed just want to make sure i prep them right so they don't [censored] up later. thanks

thegreat1

·
Registered
75 Posts
what i did for my body kit witch was use was sand it down with an orbital sander. Then ~200 grit to get all the deep stuff out. And then i went over everything with filler primer. Filled everything really nicely. Then after 2 coats of filler primer i went and wet sanded everything with 400 grit paper.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
celco sounds right...400 is ok, it leaves a good scratch, I myself prefer to go with 600 grit but it wouldn't make that much difference anyway. What type of surface are you prepping? Metal, fiberglass or urethane? It can make a difference in the steps you have to take. Later

Lox

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I'm with Lox...I would suggest 600 also. If you go too coarse, you'll leave some deep scratches that may be noticeable when it's painted. You just need to rough up the surface so the paint has something to adhere to.

I use DuPont 222S (adhesion promotor) prior to laying down the paint. I've used Bulldog adhesive promotor in the past too and it works well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
75 Posts
well i did most of the prep work on my body kit. Then i handed it off to a paint shop. For $200 he did another coat of primer, 2 coats color, and 2 coats clear. So 400 was fine for what i was doing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts