Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much would enoguh paint to paint side moldings/sideskirts/mirrors/hatch molding/grille top n bottom cost?

does any1 know a website with affordable prices?
could i get it from my dealer? paint shop?
whats the best bet to save $$$$$

thx

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
You can probably get away with 1 quart of paint. Have you ever painted before? If not, you're going to need quite a bit of stuff.

You'll need, primer, adhesion promotor, sandpaper, scotch-brite pads, tack cloth, paint, reducer, clearcoat, activator, mixing cups, stir sticks...basically, alot of stuff. Not to mention an air compressor, paint gun, buffer and buffing compounds.

When I painted my side skirts the first time, I spent close to $200.00 in materials alone. That's not counting the $150.00 for the gun. My dad has an air compressor and a buffer so I didn't need to buy them, luckily.

A local paint shop can point ya in the right direction. Check with them and ask them for any tips and pointers.

Good luck!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I paid about $60 for a pint of Malibu Blue. I got it from a local auto body supply warehouse, you can probably go to any body shop and have some paint mixed for ya. If you have a good eye and patience then painting is pretty easy.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
on a related note, anyone have a ballpark figure as to how much it would cost to repaint a stock front bumper? I'm getting a Black stock one but my car is grey. So it has to be stripped down and repainted/clearcoated.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Just depends on who you take it to....I am painting a friends RS bumper for 125...But I am a nice guy...I would say a body shop would charge about 250 or so...YNOT was right on the money with the initial paint costs, the materials are not cheap and in order to do the job right you must have all the necessary hardware. Remember spraying the paint is the easy part, prepping the surface is where you need to focus most of your time and energy........Peace

Lox

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmmm i kinda wanted to save money by doing it myself...

i got a comrpesser and a spray gun.

ive seen spray cans of clear coat at advanced auto for 4$. same with primmer. is it ok to use these spray cans?
does brand of paint matter? will these 4 dollar sprayers get the job done? and could i get malibu blue in a spray can?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bump

any1?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts