Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"The Hybrid Synergy Drive combines a 1.5-liter gasoline internal combustion engine with the electric drive-motor. The gasoline engine produces 78 horsepower and 85 lb-ft of torgue. The electric motor produces 295 lb-ft of torque . The estimated total hybrid system horsepower is 106."
-MSN Autos
Here is the link Prius. So is that 380 lb-ft total?

·
Registered
247 Posts
yeah, electric motors put out more torque than any internal combustion engine wish it could. That's why trains run with diesel turbines to generate power for their electric motors. SO it would make sense that the prius has a whole load of torque.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
yea and isnt their 0-60 STILL in the near 10 second range!? im sure the torque of the electric motor doesnt convert directly to what we would think of from an internal combustion engine. and its ugly anyway so who cares?!?!

·
Registered
674 Posts
So is that 380 lb-ft total?
Nope, the two numbers are not directly combined. If you read more about the system you will better understand the nature of electric motors. The motor develops maximum torque at 0 RPM and holds it until 1200 RPM at which time the curve falls off, hence why it only makes 67 HP.

The motor needs this torque so that it can accelerate the car from a standstill and start the engine at the same time. Take note, there is no starter or flywheel on this car. There may not be an alternator either, I can't remember.

Hybrids Rock

Edit:

yea and isnt their 0-60 STILL in the near 10 second range!? im sure the torque of the electric motor doesnt convert directly to what we would think of from an internal combustion engine. and its ugly anyway so who cares?!?!
So the car gets double the fuel economy of our cars and only loses a second to 60 and it sucks. Or it is ugly (poor subjective way to judge an important car) because it is different? Our little ZX3 had some mixed reviews on its introduction, you think its looks will age well? Oh, and one last point before I step from my Hybrid soapbox, The laws of physics do not change for engine nor motor.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Ford vs Toyota, I wonder which will last longer.The Pruis maybe weird looking but it's a car that is starting something this world needs.The focus aka fucus looks ugly to many to

·
Registered
809 Posts
I was getting on a freeway onramp and one of these losers in a prius didn't want me to get ahead of him and started accelerating so I floored it and he started to keep up and I was like WTF? And then I finally started to pull away from him after pulling away I was going 85 in a 65mph zone. I was scared he would beat me. Don't they under hard acceleration use both the electric motor and the engine at the same time? I belive thats what I read. I tried to convince my mom to get one of these but she refused and got a POS mitsubishi eclispe spyder 4cyl auto. it's soo slow.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hehe what if you turbo'd that prius and got like 140hp out of just the engine. that would be the ultimate sleeper.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Toyota sold 20,000 Prius's in 2002.They are already on the second generation where other car manufacturers haven't even developed their first(excluding Honda).Toyota claims that the 2004 Prius accelerates fasters to 60 mph in 10.1 seconds compared to 12.1 seconds for the 2003 and improves on mpg with a stronger motor and is a larger car overall.Finally the price of $19,995 stays the same as the 2003 model.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
10 sec isn't bad. The Focus doesn't do any better, if you compare the 4door with an automatic. And with the Prius you get 55+ mpg and the Toyota quality.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
How long do the Batteries in Hybrid Vehicles last? And how much does it cost to replace them?
The batteries are covered by Toyotas powertrain warranty which is 5/60,000 but they might have a higher warranty on the Prius although I am not totally sure on this.As far as cost for replacement it could be in the thousands of dollars range but I am not sure on that part either.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How long do the Batteries in Hybrid Vehicles last? And how much does it cost to replace them?
The batteries are covered by Toyotas powertrain warranty which is 5/60,000 but they might have a higher warranty on the Prius although I am not totally sure on this.As far as cost for replacement it could be in the thousands of dollars range but I am not sure on that part either.
The warrenty on the electric stuff is longer, something like 95 months - 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
517 Posts
coefficient of drag of 0.26; beauty lies in the eye of the beholder

·
Internet = Serious Business
628 Posts
What most people are missing is that this is a 100% efficiency car. It's not ment to be fast, turn on a dime, or even look good. Just because a car isn't AWD/turboed/6 sec 0-60/etc, doesn't mean it sucks. Hi my name is purpose built cars, have we met? If I need to tow stuff I'm not buying a Ferarri and then complain about it can't tow, just as I'm not buying a deisel truck and then start complaining about the handeling. Acceleration means nothing once you're up to speed, AKA highway driving, or for city driving, you're going what, 30mph? Most people where I live either work in Buffalo/Rochester which are 30mi away, but is all highway driving to get there. If I had to drive that far to work, I'd buy one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts