Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all I can say is WOW!

i went from running the JRSC w/ a stock MAF and a POS APC cone filter...

I installed my pro-flow tonight along w/ a nice big K&N filter...

So far, the power feels smoother all the way through the band, The idle is smoother, and oddly enough, the ATX tranny seems to be functioning smoother (less slip between shifts).

The only downfall I am seeing thus far is the amount of gas the car is drinking... although that is probably just from me driving w/ a heavy foot with my new toy

[ 02-06-2003, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: TooleBox ]

G

·
0 Posts
Glad to hear you like it. How was the installation ? Did you get it from mcnews ?

=dRe=

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
installation was cake... just 2 clamps.

I ordered it from Central Florida Motorsports

cost $189 without filter. I got a real big K&N cylindrical (not conical) filter... the filter im usin is a bit bigger than the stock air box was

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dj: my COB is 11 as well

G

·
0 Posts
Kev, do you have the part# for the filter ? Where can I order it from ? Pics will be great too, man.

=dRe=

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Call C-F-M up at 407 339 0490 Ask for Hector. He's the man.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aha: I'll get pics as soon as possible... probably another week or so though.

BUT here we go: I think I may be having a problem w/ this part. on acceleration all is great, but on deceleration w/ closed throttle the revs keep surging and the car occasionally bogs as if it's getting no fuel.

Has anyone had this issue? is there anything I can do to fix this?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Originally posted by TooleBox:
Has anyone had this issue? is there anything I can do to fix this?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Pro-M is known for inconsistent calibration. I got the meter with the COB13 etched on the electronics. This is supposed to be the meter for stock calibration.

The first time I put it in, really rough idle that would eventually die.

Sent it back, got a new one with COB13 on it. Same problem.

Sent it back and got a new one with COB11 on it. Runs fine.

Can't really speak for the gains as I had already bored out my Volant to fit the 70mm MAFS, so I was going from stock to 70mm and Volant, but once I got the COB11 meter I was a happy Focus owner.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks matt... I think i may need to swap this if it keeps sputtering like this

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
Why are you guys blaming Pro-M ,And saying the calibration is inconsistant

I go through more Pro-M meters for the focus than anyone around and i have had 1 maby 2 set wrong and i am talking many many meters

The blame needs to go to who orders them for they are getting you the WRONG calibrations to start with

Pro-M can only send out what the distributor asks for ,If the dist. orders a 11 or a 13 and it does not work on your car why is that Pro-M`s falt

Did who you bought you meter from test your car to see what meter it needed ,If not then how can they order you a meter for your car THEY CANT there just selling parts and taking your money

Every Focus is diff. and they will need Diff. meters as to what you have done or they will need a custom chip to correct the issues but its not Pro-m`s falt or the calibration

Tom

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tom, I am not, nor have I blamed pro M for anything once in this thread... now if you can assist me w/ the issue im having, please do... but this has nothing to do w/ Pro M nor the distributor... I have COB 11 and it works fine for the most part, i just have a slight sputter in deceleration w/ closed or lite throttle.

[ 02-06-2003, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: TooleBox ]

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I am surprised to hear some of this about Pro-flo/Pro-m. I know you can only speak from experience and I would voice my opinion as well. I am not saying anyone is blaming them. My experience with them was on my stang. I had no problems at all with any meter I got from them and was planning on getting one for the focus. But I am going to wait a few months and do some research first. I hope you get it figured out, whatever the issue is. But the company is really good and willing to help you out...from my experience that is!

good luck

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks sonic. yes, i aggree that PF is a great company. im going to try bumping my idle screw a bit tomorrow to keep it from slamming shut which seems th be when the stutter occurs... like it's suddenly choiking for air.

i'll keep you plsted as to whether adjusting the idle screw helps tomorrow

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well perhaps I was too quick to open my mouth.

From what I've heard about the Pro-M meters on the Jet and the fact that two of the three meters I've touched did NOT work on my car, I assumed it was an issue with Pro-M.

Obviously Tom has seen many more meters than I have and has a pretty good idea what he's talking about. I'm certainly open to finding out why the meters I had didn't work, and how to determine which calibration is best for my application. Any insight Tom? or anyone else who has experience with these on the Focus? Maybe a phone number for Pro-M?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Originally posted by SuperMatt:
Pro-M is known for inconsistent calibration.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Known by whom? You?

Pro-M is widely regarded as the most consistantly reliable aftermarket MAF, period. I've been through a few aftermarket mass air meters on my Mustang and the Pro-M was the ONLY one that didn't cause idle hunt and surging. The same story holds true for hundreds of other satisfied Pro-M users.

[ 02-06-2003, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: PhocusZX3 ]

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
Supermatt the problem is going to be what meter will best fit your car and the work done to it

And on some cars this is hard to impossible with out controling it (fuel) with a chip

Tom

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts
So Tom, what your saying (in other words)
is that the Pro-Flo is a waste of money unless
you can get dyno time and a custom chip to make it
work for a specific application.
Wasted cash for 3 hp I think.
I wonder why Pro-Flo doesn't tell us this up front

[ 02-07-2003, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: KonaZXIII ]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts