Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, my check fuel cap light came on again for the 2nd time. I had been in an accident many months back and had that whole side fixed up. i've checked the cap, it looks fine. I can reset it and it goes away, but it seems to come back either on long trips or at high speeds (higher than really sane
) Could it be the fuel pressure going down thats bringing the light up? I just hate it b/c its annoying and its tripping the check engine light.....any ideas before I finally break down and take it to a dealer?

·
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
because my dealer isn't friendly with me due to other warranty claims (o2 sensors and such) and they try to screw me over way too much. I just hate to take it there, have them spend a week screwing with anything, just to have them say they might not do warranty work on it anymore....

·
Registered
436 Posts
Mine has started this too. Just got back from a long trip, the next day the light came on, now the check engine light is on. Ford will probably just reset it or give an excuse when I get there. Just so I have some knowledge going in, does anybody know the cause of this? I have 33K on the car, and I've done all of the recommended services, including fuel filter.

·
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, i took mine in to a different dealer. i told them about it and they said they'd check it out while doing the yrf0 update, but i guess they did the update before they checked this, because they said the lights weren't on when they checked (took it in with both on
). He then told me that there could be a hairline fracture somewhere in the filler tube, or even the gas cap, possibly even the tank. So I don't know, I'm just glad it only does it on really long trips.....

edit: thought i would add, they did say that it was throwing the P0171 code...but did nothing about it...

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm sorry, but if it's under warranty, and they admit there could be a real problem, why don't they test their theories?

·
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
because once they did the pcm update, the lights went away.... so they fixed it.....

·
Registered
436 Posts
But you state that he said "He then told me that there could be a hairline fracture somewhere in the filler tube, or even the gas cap, possibly even the tank.". I'd say, well then, you had better check for that! And while you're at it, replace my fuel pump, it will go out soon anyway

·
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i was just glad they would work on it, they spent 20 min. deciding on wether or not they should work on the SVT....since there not an SVT dealer. I just hope that once it comes back on (no doubt that it will) that they will fix it. They seem cool about it, so I'm hoping that they will turn out to be a better service department than the SVT one was.

·
Registered
436 Posts
So mine goes back - AGAIN - with a directive to fix it this time. The test, and decide it's this valve on the passenger side firewall. They did a "smoke test" for one. I can get my paperwork and find the name if it will help anybody.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts