Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got finished installing 11 to 1 piston, valves springs, retainers, and bigger cams, port and polished head. Started up on first turn and started back firing and idling ruff, and sluggish rpms. Trying to find out if it is the timing on the cams. Trying to find out if the cam lobes on the intake should be pointing towards the back of the car or the front of the car. Any help on this would be appreciated.

P L E A S E H E L P

Thank DJRSVT

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
at TDC the first intake lobes should be pointing towards the windshield and the exhaust cam is supposed to point to the front of the car

EDIT: I know this is true for non SVT focus, but I dont see why it would be different otherwise

[ 02-04-2003, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: Carizme ]

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Well, I cant help you with the technical question you have asked...... BUT I SURE WILL BE WATCHING THIS THREAD TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS!
Because, I cant imagine you not having the top hp SVT when you are done!!!
Then you can post the exact list of mods so the rest of us SVT owners can go spend some money!!!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
make sure the towo dots on the cam gears line up at top dead center it is as simple as that for the cam timing just double check your plug wires make sure their all right and then also make sure you got some good gas you just went up to 11 to 1 pistons so you need a good high octain. also ask the svt page if they know of anything. the svt does have adjustable timing from the computer and that might have something to do with it

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
why is this in zetec performance? heh

umm definately check your cams.

at TDC they should be as described earlier in this thread. it sounds like you have your exhaust cam advanced by a ****load. but thats just what it sounds like to me.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
is it pssible that you have the cams in the wrong spot? intake where exhaust goes and exhaust where intake goes?

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
So what did you do with VCT in the intake cam?

The CAT cams are not designed for VCT use.

- Drew

·
Registered
329 Posts
Bigger Cams?

what chew talkin bout willus!

you found some bigger mo-fo cams!

I want the name of the supplier, the cost, and where do I place my order?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I just had a similar issue with my Head Install. Turned out the five little bolts on the adjustable exhaust cam gear were loose. The belt turned, the cam didn't the bolts SLAMMED as far as they could go. (Hence the BANG sound that I originally thought was a backfire). When I looked into it the exhaust cam was retarted 15 degrees, screwing up the idle. Good luck getting it fixed man, keep us updated!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts