Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for whatever reason i noticed today that the vent fans won't kick in unless the dial is on 4 (Max). 1,2, $ 3 settings do nothing whatsoever on any settings. i'm gonna make an appointment with Ford tommorow, but just wanna see if you guys have any insights on this before i try to cajole warranty work out of my dealership. which is a huge contest, believe you me

thankfully with my air cranked up like it was today, i could really belt out some tunes and not have to hear myself so much.

·
Registered
40 Posts
wow.. i haven't had to post here in awhile, but the same thing has just recently happened to my zts. heater/ac will only work when its on 4. i'm making an appointment tommorrow and hopefully have some answers to this problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i took my focus in yesterday morning for this problem and the water leak in the front passenger side floor. the ac problem stems from water shorting out a resistor on the blower motor. this was covered under warranty, but the water leak was not. that will run about 140+ labor... i'm happy tho because it rained last night and my floor is dry

·
Registered
98 Posts
I actually had a similar problem. In my case it wound up being the switch itself. The switch set me back like $15. What it amounts to, the switch is all plastic except for this one metal piece in there that makes contact to 3 or 4 wire contacts. 1 for each speed of the fan. Initially when I trouble shot this problem, i took a test light to check the ground and the hot lead. Some how afterwards (it's been a while since I did it) I was able to jump those contacts and was able to get all 4 speeds working. When I changed the switch it all started to work. I took the old switch and disassembled it to see what happened. Since it's only piece of metal and all plastic in there, the metal plate managed to melt the plastic inside.
I can see this is going to be a consistent problem.

I better buy a couple dozen of them just in case Ford decides to jack the price of them up due to it being a frequent problem part.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya i figured it was either the switch itself or a resistor somewhere. thankfully the warrantry will take care of either but it does mean i have to drag my ass down to the dealership at 7:30 in the morning on my day off. grr..

thanks guys. i sure do miss my vents on these humid days..

·
Double-Wide Pride!!!
881 Posts
Man I was having almost the same problem. Only 3 or 4 would work. Then I found a hvac cluster (svt) on sale on ebay, by another jetter. Well I'm outta warrenty and I bought this cluster, and installed myself! It works great, and looks great too.(silver) The swapout is not that hard and the clusters have the fanmotor switch in them. Really, it is not that hard to do and you can find them in the junkyards or on ebay fairly regular. They are not too expensive either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts