Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few problems after installing my Fc head. First of all THe car seems to be fouling out alot of plugs. I have had 4 go bad so far. # of them had the ceramic break. I though that I had that fixed by adding octane booster to my gas but it came back this morning on the way to work. I am using Bosch double plats. Do I need idffernet plug ie, colder ones? Also there seems to be soem smoke coming form the exhaust. Sometimes but not always it is heavy when starting it up and sometimes it is just a little at idle. Sometimes its not there at all What could this be? Also one other good thing that I found out is that here the "cheap" gas is 94 octane! I stated using the newer gas made by shell called "V power" and it is 99 octane. I can believe it. I need ot get this plug and smoke situtation resloved so I can run my focus liek it should be run. thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you post in the Focus Central forum you can get some advice str8 from the experts on FC heads.

·
Registered
836 Posts
You need to switch back to the Motorcraft plugs. I heard that bosch doesn't make plugs for the zetec. Do you think that you might have screwed up you head gasket when installing it? Is it white smoke or blue looking smoke? Does it seem like it is loosing antifreeze or oil? How does the car actually feel when you are driving it, is it jerky, does it seem like it has pleanty of power.....or what? Answer these questions and it will help us to help you determine the problem......Russell

[ 09-19-2002, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Russell ]

·
Registered
836 Posts
Also what do you mean by fowling. The plugs look very black? If so this could indicate a rich condition, in other words... to much fuel. You could also be burning oil. If it is a bluish smoke coming out mainly when you just start the car after it has been sitting over night or for a long period of time, you might have some bad valve seals........Russell

·
Registered
427 Posts
Be sure to use the 99 octane gas. The methode of calculating octane in Eroupe is different than in the US. Eroupe 99 octame, I believe is approximatly the same as US 93 octane. Someone here on the Jet has posted these formulas before but I can't find them right now.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Check the oil. Does it look like mud? If so you may have some coolant leaking into the cylinders somehow (not good).

·
Registered
358 Posts
Try the Motorcraft plugs, the are what come in it factory and I dont see any sense in paying more than 1.29 for a silly ass spark plug. Those Bosch plugs are for cars like corvettes or mustangs not a 4 cylinder focus. If it is black or white smoke it is just you car running rich, no big deal. If it is blue and only does it when it has been sitting then u have bad valve seals.(highly unlikely) Also u need to go to a shop and have them test you compression on each cylinder if it is more than 5-8lbs different on one or more cylinders u have a blown headgasket. Try those few things and you may save yourself a lot of stress.

[ 09-20-2002, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Wickd68 ]

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I checked a few moe thing ont he car and this is what I found. It is a white smoke. The oil look fine and it isnt using any. I have hd to fill up the coolant once too. I am thinking that the thermostat might be bad but I replaced it when I changed the head. Cam timing is right on. The Fouling of the plugs look like this... on cylinders 1,2 it is a white residue, 3&4 have soem black residue on them, most likely form running rich. Also I noticed that soemitmes there seems to be soem type of liquid coming form the exhaust but I dont think its fuel. During crusing when I let of the gas there is pop, not like a regular kick back but its almost in sequence. Today it seems like the power is down just a bit. Although I am still etting regular gas mileage though. I am at a complete loss. Oh yea I ordered some Motorcrafts too. I have not had aprob;lem with them yet. The reason I have the bosch ones is becasue its all that I can get here. Thanks

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also when it is idleing it seems to be missing a little. I dont think that its the lope in the cams becasue Ihad an essling intake cam and it was suppoed to be lopier (sp) then the crower st2's. I am considering getting the Live wires and coil pack would the help out my situation?

·
Registered
460 Posts
If you have white exhaust smoke your coolant is getting into the combustion chamber from a head gasket leak. You said you were loosing coolant. Don't wait!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Did you use a new headgasket? Did you replace the head bolts? Did you torque them in the proper sequence and the proper method? If all this has been done, I would try and get your hands on a combustion leak detector and see if there is combustion gases in the coolant, if there is, then something isn't right.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Definitely sounds like something is sealed, either the headgasket, or a warped or cracked head.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used a new head gasket. I used the local 99 octane gas and it seems to be better. I will check it out tonight. I really dont want to take apart the head again. Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
836 Posts
get your self some of that radiator stop leak stuff. I can't remember what it is called, but it is a gray and brown bottle and if you opened it up it looks like liquid copper. Drop yourself some of that in there, run it around for a few days and see if something changes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts