Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I installed a new locking fuel cap on my car about three months ago. Two weeks ago while I was driving to my dads work the Fuel Cap light came on. I have unscrewed and screwed it back in, but no luck. Just last week while I was driving to my dads work my CEL came on, it's still on. There is nothing wrong with my car though....it drives fine. Any ideas?

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Re: Fuel Cap Light ON and CEL

could be the EVAP system... a cracked hose or any number of other things. EVAP problems are REALLY hard to troubleshoot.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts

why does the CEL have to be related to the fuel cap?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Correct me if i'm wrong, but Autozone does free CEL checks right?

·
Registered
3,601 Posts

Soy,

Replace the cap with the stock unit and see if it clears. Shouldn't take more than a couple days of driving.

When you get Autozone to scan your car, post the codes. I had a P-455 and P442 when I had my leak. Turned out to be a leak in an Evap line, but it gave me a "Fuel Cap" light as well.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks Phillip. I'll do that sometime tomorrow

·
Registered
837 Posts

Actually at least in California, Autozone no longer does free scans. You have to pay to rent it or whatnot. But if you can get it done for free then so so.

I say just remove the negative battery terminal for about 20 minutes. The light should go away if it comes back on you know you have a problem. Im thinkin the cap isnt creating enough suction which happens when u normaly turn on the car. If there is a minor air leak and insufficient pressure the CEL will be thrown.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Well, I turned on my car, drove away and saw a huge puddle on the ground in my rearview mirror. I turned around to find anti-freeze all over the ground. I have a coolant leak somewhere. To make matters worse, while I was driving the INFAMOUS Hesitation [censored] has returned on my car!

I'm pissed!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

did you ever get the fuel pump recall done?
Yes

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Alright, so I popped the valve cover off, looked at the valve cover gasket, all the threads on the gasket were thin as hell. Replaced the valve cover gasket. Put some anti-seize stuff on the new spark plugs (threadings), went spark plug by spark plug. Put some lube for spark plug boots in the boots and put each boot back. Jacked my car up, drained the coolant. I was going to work on the thermostat housing, but the bolts won't come loose....so, i'll leave those for tomorrow.

I ran into something while checking out the cams. Are they suppose to have grooves? (look below)

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

I ran into something while checking out the cams. Are they suppose to have grooves?
since nothing inside the engine touches the cams there, and wouldn't leave such a regular pattern, i'm going to assume those were there from the factory. perhaps those are tooling marks from when the cam is balanced?

especially if they're not shiny as if something recently ground them out, i would assume they're okay. if something were rubbing on your cams like that, enough to cut grooves into them, you'd probably notice the noise.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I can't get the thermostat housing bolts off!!! they're on tight! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts

Umm, use a wrench?

Do you mean the torx-head screws that hold the thermo housing together, or the bolts that hold the thermo housing to the cylinder head? Be careful with the screws - they break easily.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

The bolts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts