Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all- I am new to this forum and need some help with a 2006 2.0L Focus engine.

A little background on my project. My mother is a rural mail carrier. About 10 years ago my dad built her a mail vehicle using all 80's VW parts; its getting really hard to find those parts now. The body is a Grumman. He recently deiced to upgrade to something newer. He chose a focus. He got one out of a junk yard and stripped it and put it in the Grumman. He is ready to start it but having trouble but has an idea where to look.

What I am looking for is someone who can do some re-programming on the ecu. He would like the security systems deleted and a few other things. We are having trouble finding someone so I am hoping someone can help us out :)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Sorry it's been awhile since you posted, just saw this.

I'm no expert by any means, but I did swap a new ECU with a different code into my Focus. I can tell you for sure that you cannot disable the PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System.) This means you are going to have to use the keys that were used in the Focus you stripped the motor out of, since the ECU is programmed to them.

Lets say you didn't get them, or the ignition lock system off the steering wheel. You are going to have to get that stuff, whether out of the same car (cheaper) or another Focus. Really, you are going to need all of the wiring harness out of the engine compartment, everything from the ECU to the dash and to the fuel pump. Then, an auto locksmith can re-key the ignition cylinder and program the key to the ECU, just as if you'd lost every key you owned for the original car.

If at this point, you're saying to yourself "screw that, that sounds like a lot of work! Isn't there ANY way around this?" I THINK the answer is yes. You can ditch the Ford ECU and go with Megasquirt DIY ECU. You will have to add a few sensors the Focus doesn't have, like a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor in the intake manifold, and a true Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor, as the Focus ECU estimates the coolant temp from a temp sensor in the cylinder head that doesn't actually touch the coolant. I believe you will also have to convert the fuel supply to a return-type system instead of the stock returnless, dead end system used in the stock Focus. That means a different fuel pump (might be able to use what you used with the VW) and a Fuel Pressure Regulator on the fuel rail. There is a large online community of Megasquirt users who can guide you, and you no doubt will find someone with a tune for a zetec that is close enough to get you started. Unlike the SCT stuff for the Ford ECU, the Megasquirt is open source, and people freely share advice and tunes.

Want to go even more old skool? I know there are hot rodders who have converted zetecs to four motorcycle carburetors! Then you just need the Megasquirt board that can run the zetec distributorless, wasted spark ignition system.

Good luck with the project, and keep us updated, it sounds interesting! I hope your dad's creation is right hand drive, I never could see how all the letter carriers driving their cars from the passenger seat was legal or safe!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts