Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone heard or used these? i have to replace my rear conrol arms anyways. the cost is almost the same for me. any info would be appricated.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
What is it you did to your control arms that broke them?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the bushing on the bottom where the drum attaches. like i was sayin i can replace them both or i can replace the bushing at around the same cost. just need info on this. any info u could lend me rob would be appricated

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Why are you replacing them?

You're asking my opinion on something, but I have no idea what the situation is. Why are you replacing them, what are your goals?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there are no goals rob. i shredded a bushing try to reinstall me rear coils. all i am wondering is if i shuld replace them with a prothane kit or just replace the whole ford control arm. my rea tires are gettin chewed to hell. i cant afford to be replacing tires every 6 weeks.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
I really can't recommend anything. How did you shred the rear bushing installing springs?

I mean, ok, I'm running stock bushings. I haven't really felt the need to replace them yet. So, is polyurethane better? Maybe. Is it worth the tradeoffs? Maybe not. Is there anything wrong with it? No, other than the ride and noise gets a bit worse.

Will it stop you from shredding them in the future? I dunno... I don't know what you did.

So, should you put them in? Well, I guess it might be cheaper, so why not.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the bolt was seized to the bushing and it tore to peices. now im not goin to just change one control arm am i??

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
That's so strange the same thing happened to me last week when I was trying to install springs on a local club members sedan. The bolt had seized to the metal insert in the center of the bushing. When we went to take the bolt out the bushing just broke away. Luckily we were able to get it back in or he would have had to be towed home. He is going to get a new lower control arm as it's less than $100.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Dunno... they're fine. <shrug> I'm sure they're not as responsive as poly, but I haven't had any problems. Maybe this winter I'll do them.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have had a number of customers have problems with the bolt seizing inside the bushing. It seems that road salt contributes to this as most of these customers are from Northern States and Canada.

As I understand it, the only way to buy the bushing from Ford is to purchase the whole control arm. Prothane is one of the only companies that I have found that even makes this bushing. Many customers that encounter this problem take this opportunity to upgrade to the poly bushings.

I hope this helps to shed some light on this situation.

Tony D

·
Registered
767 Posts
I had the same problem on mine, The bolts were seized, tore them to hell trying to put the rear springs in. I had to replace both control arms. Unfortunately, finances weren't conducive to upgrading the bushings, but my mechanic slathered the bolts with anti-seize so when I do it they will come out easily.

Ec9

·
Registered
57 Posts
Listen to Tony. I was one of those customers. You do not need to replace the arms just buy the bushing set from Tony. I had this problem, my car was on jack stands and I called him. He said two days or so for shipping but they got there the next day! This kind of service is why when it is avalable from New Edge Performance I buy it from them. (Hmmm... Maybe I should call and finally get the prothane engine mount bushings.)

As for the bushigs them selves, it certinly does tighten everything up in the rear, very little slop. Handling, well, it has been a lond time since i drove a stock Focus. Harsher ride? Maybe a little. Louder? No. Be sure to find someone with a bushing press though, it will make things easier.

John

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the cost being about the same for me i just got the factory arms. if this happens again ill be replacing them with prothane. oh ya i live in canada too and it wouls have cost em the same

1 - 18 of 18 Posts