Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Resident Wheel-Whore
10,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Ive searched on the internet, but can't find anything. I have a 94 Eagle Talon. Its the excact same thing as an Eclipse. It is not a turbo, it does not have AWD, nor is it a stick. Needless to say, the car has no power. It was my first car. I've had it for 3 years now. And for the past 2 summers, I've tried selling it, but because of the engine not being a turbo, and it not being AWD, it is hopeless. So this winter, instead of storing it, the Focus is getting stored, and the Talon is getting worked on. My dad, a friend of mine and I have come to the conclusion that we want to put a V8 of some sort into it, and convert it to RWD. Does anybody have ANY info on doing this? I know it has been done, and is possible, Ive seen the vidoes, but don't know where to look on information. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Re: Putting a V8 into my Talon

That seems a bit odd..... it wouldnt work. to me if i were u do a swap with a turbo 98 supra, and switch chassies with that.. that would probley work... a v8 in a dodge talon....uhh no.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts

dude just swap a 4G63T FWD engine in there..

I had a 91 AWD turbo talon.. and that thing hauled ass

·
Registered
6,296 Posts

how the hell would a 98 Supra be any better? I would just try to swap in the engine from a turbo Talon or Eclipse.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts

apparently not

a slightly modded 4G63 FWD turbo is a highway monster..

just swap that engine along with a 3 inch turbo back exhaust, bigger intake and intercooler pipes and a MBC and aftermarket boost gauge and kill stuff.

·
Not so Photo Master
6,625 Posts

do the v8 for sure! at least make it rear wheel drive for sure!

·
Formerly focus_wrc
7,422 Posts

you have 2 options

1. sell your talon for what ever price and get a 91-94 mitsu eclipse (or talon or laser) with a turbo AWD and manual. you can do that for $2k max.

2. If you really think you want a V8 or you have the money to do the V8 swap with rwd conversion. just buy a brand new V8 RWD car like a GTO i promise you it would be cheaper.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Hell ya it would be cheaper.... But the time you get the engine and rearend your pocket book would be broke. And its not worth doing all that to that car. I agree with many of the people who posted telling you to either get a 91-94 talon turbo/ or laser. 91 and 94 where allot quicker then the new talon turbo's beleave me I know I raced one with my 91 and smoked him the guy had a 96 talon and thought he was a big show. OR you have the other option take the money you where going to put in the car and buy an 06 mustang

·
Registered
697 Posts

You can't physicaly swap a 4G63T drivetrain into a non-turbo car. The engines are totally different in that the non-turbo is the 420A from the Neon. Another issue is the accessory drive are on opposite sides. Not to mention all the pickup points for suspension and mounts are totally different between the cars. Any attempt would cost more than scrapping the car and buying a turbo car and starting from there. You can try to put a turbo on the existing motor (Hahn), but if I recall, clearances for a FMIC are extremely tight.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts

Damn, I didn't realize the drivetrain setups were that different between the turbo and non-turbo DSMs!

Ah well, plan B; sell the thing for whatever. Or be a kindhearted gentleman and donate the car to some organization for free, and get a tax-break.

·
Not so Photo Master
6,625 Posts

v8 conversions are done all the time without killing people or costing millions of dollars. I've seen everything from a yugo and a vw bug with big block v8. I've seen a kid (just out of highschool) working on a mid engine prostreet corvair. you need someone with some welding and fabrication experience but its far from impossible.

·
Registered
470 Posts

Ah well, plan B; sell the thing for whatever. Or be a kindhearted gentleman and donate the car to some organization for free, and get a tax-break.

This is sounding like the best idea so far!

·
Registered
829 Posts

Check out www.eagletalon.net. Huy lives a few miles from me and has done some sick things to his Talon. But he went from AWD to RWD and is keeping his 11 sec 4G63T motor in it.

IMO...sell it and get a new RWD car

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

apparently not

a slightly modded 4G63 FWD turbo is a highway monster..

just swap that engine along with a 3 inch turbo back exhaust, bigger intake and intercooler pipes and a MBC and aftermarket boost gauge and kill stuff.
Indeed

·
Resident Wheel-Whore
10,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

You guys must not understand. I can't sell this dang car. I've tried for over 2 years!
For me to try and swap a 4g63T motor, it would cost alot more. The motor itself, I've told is gonna cost more then buying a whole GSX itself. And this is not the plan, to buy MORE cars. I already have 3. The engine would'nt cost that much for the V8, my uncle can get good deals on rebuilt small blocks. People have already done this to Eclipse's, so I was just looking for any info, or problems people that have done it, ran into.

·
Dyno Queen
7,859 Posts

You can't physicaly swap a 4G63T drivetrain into a non-turbo car. The engines are totally different in that the non-turbo is the 420A from the Neon. Another issue is the accessory drive are on opposite sides. Not to mention all the pickup points for suspension and mounts are totally different between the cars. Any attempt would cost more than scrapping the car and buying a turbo car and starting from there. You can try to put a turbo on the existing motor (Hahn), but if I recall, clearances for a FMIC are extremely tight.
I may have missed it, but this car is a 2g? If it is a 1g, the t swap is about a 4 hours bolt in and wire up event. Even if it is a 2g, it still would not be a hard swap. A v8 swap into a car with arguably the best power potential 4 cylinder motor ever built would be pretty stupid when time/cost/power is considered....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts