Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Saturday evening I was setting at turn one at Mid O watching the Foci go by,

The PW car was doing good most of the day, as was Tom in his SVT, I could see them coming down the front straight... then my veiw became blocked.

Once the cars reappeared from under the overpass at turn one Toms car was going past but the PW car came out with this big cloud of blue smoke behind it. Once the PW pulled over I could see this small ball of fire under the car.. where oil was splashing onto the header of the PW car... Both COSDEVSVT and focusownerskid who were in the car were NOT injured.

Upon return to the pits there was a nice hole in the block where it is believed that a rod decided it wanted a little air. As I was told the engine was only a week old and it had forged rods and pistons in it.

All tuners had a good time it seemed, every one acted very professional and every one got along and tried to help each other out... I was there and saw it first hand.

I also want to say it was nice to meet all the new faces and sorry I couldn't stay for the party... but thats in another thread.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Wow that's a bummer... Glad nobody got hurt.

I guess PW car was trying to be a bit aggressive with their power.

What was the weather like?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
belacyrf said:
Wow that's a bummer... Glad nobody got hurt.

I guess PW car was trying to be a bit aggressive with their power.

What was the weather like?
Damp that morning.. but BEAUTIFUL that afternoon :thumbup:

I'm POSITIVE that later on tonight there will be alittle more info on it... but thats what I saw from turn one..... and NO I'm not trying to get ANY debates started.. just telling it the way it happened.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to add that this is a SPEED compitition... things are going to break and things will go wrong.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
No offense intended, but what does the "competition" have to do with the PowerWorks car tossing a rod?

It's just a toasted engine, I don't see what the big deal is, or why it would involve Tom... or why it needs a thread started in Forced Induction. :confused:

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
I agree with Omni... I edited your post to just share the story. Unfortunately the way you posted it will cause more of a hub-bub than if you would just share the facts.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
*nevermind I found it* Anyone have the link to all the details on the event? I looked but didnt see it. Maybe I looked right over it?

Scott

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
belacyrf said:
I agree with Omni... I edited your post to just share the story. Unfortunately the way you posted it will cause more of a hub-bub than if you would just share the facts.
Those were the facts as they happened.........

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
Yep ... my new engine went up. I was trying to find the 'upper limit' of the PW blower on a built engine. Apparently it wasn't built up well enough.

No det. No high temps (oil or water). Plenty of oil pressure. Didn't bounce off the rev limiter. Was running fantastic during tuning this past week and the three previous run sessions.

I was suspicious of those small, necked down rod bolts on the Eagle rods ... I'm sure they were good ARP bolts ... just didn't seem like they were matched to the rods very well. Seemed like a good cost-cutting measure on Eagle's part. There is plenty of room on the rods/caps to use a larger or full diameter bolt.

Engine was still running when I pulled over. The flames were from the oil soaked header wrap and the crank sensor harness burning. The hole in the block was in #4 right behind the crank sensor. On the back of the engine, there was a hole in the ladder ... that is where I fished out the mangled #4 rod cap 'souvenier'.

I hadn't had time to get to the dyno yet, but I estimate power was about 280ish to the wheels. Add in drivetrain losses and throw on the power that it takes to drive the blower and crank HP was likely around 350 ... everyones opinion of what an Eagle rod could take.

It'll be a few weeks until I get the engine out and do a full diagnosis ... frankly, I'm kinda tired of working on it at the moment. It will live again ... and I will find the upper limit. Can't make an omlett w/o breaking some eggs ...

Other than that, I had a good time at Mid-Ohio ... nice to meet everyone and finally get to talk face to face. Just got a little wet camping out in Sat nights storms. I really want to thank LCR and FRPP for getting me and the car home!

I think focusownerskid jinked me. As we were sitting in the car on the grid he was talking about a '02 SVT he knew of that had a blown engine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
OrangeSVT03 said:
Those were the facts as they happened.........

What you left out was COSDEVSVT bought all his own parts, built his own motor, had his head modified, was running unknown FI cams that had had the base circles reground and was trying some other hardware he had no information on. The engine had not been broken in properly and Wednesday night before this event he ran the car on the quarter mile during test and tune at Milan and made a few passes running way too lean. More than likely the damage was done there and the engine was not checked over before leaving for this event.
He was running a stock PW SVT blower but that was it. Matt had put a larger crank pulley on to increase the blower speed and had done his own tuning.

The car had Powerworks on the side, but it wasn't a car representing Powerworks. The base Powerworks car is preparing to run One Lap of America which begins on May 5th. http://www.onelapofamerica.com/ The SVT is my wifes...... and we'll leave it at that.
As this competition is only 2 weeks away we chose to not run this event and to use the time to prepare the vehicles for the 4000mi, 9 day, 13 track event. This is the same car that ran in the C&D challenge as a stock powerworks car, and was pictured here on the main page for awhile. It's not stock anymore, but it is still running Cats, EGR and is street legal.
We have 2 vehicles entered this year in OLOA.
My white car is entered in the econo car class and is running and performing very well.
The second is my 2005 F150 running the Powerworks 5.4L 3V kit entered in the truck/SUV class

Check out the link, and keep an eye out for updates along the way. This should be a great event.

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
Mark brings up an important point that the car was not an official Powerworks car. This was COSDEVSVT's personal car.

COSDEVSVT was trying some new things on his own to see with the SVTF would do.

This was NOT a stock SVTF Powerworks kit.

It was a huge bummer, but things like this are bound to happen at the track once and a while.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
Stock SVT block, crank, main caps - std (low miles - measured OK)
Clevite bearings
ARP main studs
Eagle rods w/ARP 2000 bolts (can't recall the size, but they appeared smaller than 3/8")
FC (Probe) 8.2:1 Zetec pistons - ~9.4:1 in a SVT
ARP head studs
3-angle valve job on a SVT head, decked .002" to clean-up
Cometic .040" head gasket
zxtuner prototype SVT cams w/lash caps
5.7" crank pulley (suitable PW BBK not available to use)

I built the engine up in Jan/Feb. Went together w/o any issues. Everything was torqued to spec w/the appropriate lube where applicable. It's possible something was under/over torqued I suppose ... but I was very cautious when putting it together.

I tried and engine combo that anyone would probably build that wanted to be budget conscious. As the saying goes 'you get what you pay for' ...

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys, I didn't say anything bad about the car, the company, or anything else.

All I stated was what happened from the spectators stand at turn one as it was seen.

COSDEVSVT's car ran great and it was a shame that it blew... I dont like seeing anyones car chuck a rod.

·
Banned
138 Posts
Thats really odd about the eagle rods. I have two friends with ZX2's and know a couple of other people with them that are making 260- 340 whp and have no problems with them. I would contact eagle, mabye you got a bad set. Its a shame to see all that hard work go boom on the first outing for the car.

·
Registered
604 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me about the rods. It sounds like a rpm vs. rod issue.

Generally were there is not detonation and a motor tosses a rod it's a rpm issue or a nitrous blow out (i'm ASSuming there was no nitrous being used).

It makes sense if you were pushin the car to the limit. No need to over rev just running high revs for an extended period of time could do it.

·
Franklin's My Friend!
1,089 Posts
OrangeSVT03 said:
Guys, I didn't say anything bad about the car, the company, or anything else.

All I stated was what happened from the spectators stand at turn one as it was seen.

COSDEVSVT's car ran great and it was a shame that it blew... I dont like seeing anyones car chuck a rod.
i think most people here were thinking that you probably wouldn't have been so quick to post if tom had blown an engine. ;)

whatever, it is what it is. stuff is bound to happen when you track your car, this was just the worst case sadly. :eek:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hey I got an idea everyone. If we quit complaining that toms name was brought up threads won't go off topic!!!!

Does that man really have enough power over the focus community that it can totaly destroy a thread?

Lets grow up and play nice.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts