Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone install a Autometer Pyrometer on their focus?

I have one and it keeps reading over 1600 degrees when i go full boost... I was just wondering is that normal or if it bad or it might be reading double..

any suggestions??

Thanks,
PRTurboZX3

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
where do u have it placed at (the probe)

·
Registered
383 Posts
full boost at 10 PSI I am reading 1450-1500
That's about what mine reads...I try and let off before it gets too hot, but mine is placed in my log manifold, right at cylinder three. Mine will get to 1450 or so under full boost. I too would like to get it a bit cooler...and I think it is doable with more tuning and adjusting the timing and fuel.

Paul

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
check the picture OrangeZXT

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
the focus does put out hot egt's i see up to 1475 sometimes but u are a bit high did u talk to tom about this he may have to add some timing to your tune to get it down some u went to the full 2.5"ext didnt u

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
now that i look at that u are in the collecter right before the turbo not in just the 3rd port u will prob see a bit higher egt's than if u where in just #3

·
Dyno Queen
7,859 Posts
now that i look at that u are in the collecter right before the turbo not in just the 3rd port u will prob see a bit higher egt's than if u where in just #3
that would more likely show lower temps than in a specific runner, I would think.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
i had mine in the same spot moved it to #3 and it droped about 550deg

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I still don't understand why folks monitor a single port. You want to know what your peak EGT is so it doesn't really matter if your getting the "hottest" reading.

My peak EGT's are several hundred degrees lower than the temps that get posted here. I monitor on the downwind side of the turbo, but since I'm watching for a peak, I don't really care what the actual number is... just that my EGT has peaked so I can add fuel to bring it down 50 degrees or so (depending on what I'm trying to achieve, minimum fuel burn or max power).

I'm compairing aircraft vs. street use, but the end result is exactly the same. A single EGT probe isn't really a safety device, so why use it as such?

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Phil... its COMPLETELY different from aircraft to cars.

You use yours to adjust your fuel trim on the fly.... we don't really have that luxury (and I don't know that I'd want it... too much human error and bye bye engine)

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I understand that. But *IF* you've tuned your car on a dyno with the EGT in place, you KNOW the "safe" EGT temperature. Monitoring a single slug (vs. an average of all 4) just doesn't make any sence (to me).

If any of the three other cylinders go belly-up, you'll see the results with the EGT probe mounted in, or past, the collector (or downstream of the turbo). This doesn't happen as fast in a runner mounted probe.

We've beat on this before. I'll stick with collector mounted probes and downstream turbo monitoring.
I want to see *peak* EGT's... don't care if it's 900 degs or 1600.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
3rd will be the hottest

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
3rd will be the hottest
Yah for a reason we're not yet sure of.... and its really boggling. But that seems to be the one that starts heating up so if you monitor that one, you'll know.

Granted it won't catch something if you develop a problem in one of the other cylinders..... Awww hell EGT on each cylinder!

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
3rd will be the hottest
Yah for a reason we're not yet sure of.... and its really boggling. But that seems to be the one that starts heating up so if you monitor that one, you'll know.

Granted it won't catch something if you develop a problem in one of the other cylinders..... Awww hell EGT on each cylinder!
You know, I thought about doing that... It would look sweet but where'd you put all the other instruments?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tom knows he just don't know why is registering that Hi, because sometimes it peg the gauge beyond the 1600,, like 1800 i would thing since the needles is straight down pass the 1600... and that's why i was wondering maybe the probe is in the wrong possition and is reading all 4 ports together and that's why the hi temp reading... I'll talk to Tom about moving it to port 3 or just leave it the why it is.

Thanks, OrangeZXT for the feedback

and yes i did change the exhaust to 2.5" and like the new sound, it's alot deeper and i need to retune, but sold my house and i should be moving to the new house by jul 28, so i don't know when i will be going to Tom..

Love the new number my car are doing, after the exhaust and re-tune, TOm said: that he might get more hp out of the setting. right now 236HP / 244TQ,,, and that was with the factory flex and 2.25" FocusSport Cat-back and Factory Clutch...

I can't believe the factory clutch still haven't give-in yet... I'm pretty sure it will soon.. if i reach the 250hp at the wheel i know the clutch won't handle that much hp @ the wheels.

By the way that's on 93Oct..

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
You know, I thought about doing that... It would look sweet but where'd you put all the other instruments?
You use 4 channels of an 8 input A/D, then feed a single gauge. The software you write needs to include the functions you want; peak, hold, average etc.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Tom knows he just don't know why is registering that Hi, because sometimes it peg the gauge beyond the 1600,, like 1800 i would thing since the needles is straight down pass the 1600... and that's why i was wondering maybe the probe is in the wrong possition and is reading all 4 ports together and that's why the hi temp reading... I'll talk to Tom about moving it to port 3 or just leave it the why it is.
Have you checked to make sure your EGT is showing a true reading? 1600+ on a Ford Zetec seems pretty darn hot to me.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
last time with Tom,, the ecu register 1300 degrees. So next Tune i will be looking most closely to see what's wrong. I think is probably double reading or the probe is in the wrong place.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I wasn't aware the Focus had the ability read EGT?
Is the ECU an aftermarket unit?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts