Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does someone wanna volunteer to write the first 'hack for Duratec Performance on my site?

A reader went off-roading in mexico with his 2.3L PZEV, and he thinks the filter is clogged up, because it seems sluggish. Can just the filter be purchased, or will his little venture require a large amount of the intake system to be replaced?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Tellhim to just buy an aftermarket intake with a replaceable filter. It's the simplest and probably the best overall fix for the situation.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
A reader went off-roading in mexico with his 2.3L PZEV, and he thinks the filter is clogged up, because it seems sluggish. Can just the filter be purchased, or will his little venture require a large amount of the intake system to be replaced?

See if you can get more info out of him; unless he was following another vehicle, and literally eating his dust, the filter is far out front in the airstream on the Focus.

Granted, even if he was driving solo, bringing the vehicle to a stop on dirt will result in being surrounded in a cloud temporarily... but unless he spent days down there in those coRnditions, his PZEV's filter may have not ingested too much dust.

The PZEV 2.3 (at least) is both eager and sluggish depending on the ECU's manipulation of the idle emissions' tumble flaps, fuel mixture during flap restrction, and timing.

I've often thought it'd be neat to graph tumble flap actuation and related fuel and timing curves in real time on some sort of display to see what the factory calibration is and what it does in different throttle positions and vacuum levels (load)...

As far as the PZEV filter goes, he should see what's recommended in his Owner's Guide for Severe Service. I would, but my car is miles away at the moment.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
The air filter box assembly is replaceable, but it's over $300.00. for the 03 - 04 2.3's.

The 05's are a little over $200.00.

He should be able to tell easily if the filter is plugged. There is the little sight gauge on the side of the resonator assembly. If the guage is in the red, then he's got to either fork out money for the complete new oem air filter, or buy a cold air intake.

The cold air intake has the power gains to make this the more desireable option. Not to mention half the price.

·
19,806 Posts
D'oh! I forgot about the Filter Minder.

Is it supposed to indicate a restriction even at idle?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
D'oh! I forgot about the Filter Minder.

Is it supposed to indicate a restriction even at idle?
The way it works is that under accelleration if vaccum existed between the throttle body and the air filter(due to a plugged or restricted filter) the indicator would move to a certain position to show the amount of restriction, and then it would stay in that position. It's spring loaded and has a reset button. So even with the car off it would show a reading of your filters current state.

·
19,806 Posts
I had a grasp of how it worked
but I didn't realize the restriction's reading stayed put until it was reset.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts