Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sir Buffs A LOT
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a '03 SE w/ PZEV & 5spd. Was kind of complaing to my wife that I wished that it came with a tach. Got home & started to do the typical guy thing & read the "Owners Manual" from cover to cover. Low & behold on page #10 of my manual, it shows 3 illustrations for the instument clusters; 1) Standard cluster.w/o tach, 2) Optional cluster w/ tach, 3) 2.3L I4 PSEV cluster w/ tach. My question is 2 parts; 1) is my car supposed to have that cluster? 2) Can I get the optional cluster & put in basically plug & play. Any assistance/advice you can give would be greatly appreciated & sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
All the clusters will interchange with each other. You can get a cluster thru Ford, but I believe they are +$350 for another. That is the safest way to go though because of the mileage issue. Your cluster holds the mileage in memory. Changing to a used cluster will show the mileage from the other car. It depends on what option package you have on your car that determines the tach/no tach deal. SPI and some Zetec motored Foci don't have the tach. But being the PSEV motor I think that's kinda strange that you are tachless. If I was you take a stroll thru the dealership and check out the other PSEV cars. Maybe they built your car on a Friday afternoon at quiting time?

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
The PZEV uses a differnt cluster than the other foci IT's Data link is completly different.

·
Registered
326 Posts
5 speed (i'll assume MANUAL) without a TACH?!?!

how do u drive? no im serious...

something is definetly wrong.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts

Just because a vehicle is a 5 speed doesn't mean it needs a tach. Do You shift by watching the tach? I don't. I shift when I hear the engine needs to be shifted. My truck is a 5-speed with no tach. That's what You get with base model vehicles.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I can't exactly answer your question but from the order form, ALL 2004 zx3s will come with a tach. so you would have an easy time changing yours out with the new ones for the 2004 PZEV.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts

Just because a vehicle is a 5 speed doesn't mean it needs a tach. Do You shift by watching the tach? I don't. I shift when I hear the engine needs to be shifted. My truck is a 5-speed with no tach. That's what You get with base model vehicles.
My brothers '95 Ranger has no tach..... and its a 5-speed. I know plenty of cars without a tach.

·
Registered
751 Posts
You could hook up an aftermarket tach like an Autometer or something for about $150. That way you wouldn't have to pay a ton of $$$ and deal with the headaches of converting the milage to the new cluster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts