Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just got a black 03 pzev and Im stoked! I got a few questions in my beginning quest as a focus owner though.

The first is a bit of a concern. I know they say 28 city and 34 highway and that could be exaggerated. But what I am getting now is just...well lets just say not very pleasing. My last car was an 87 honda accord and I got 300mpg, I get just a bit over that with my focus. Now I have heard a few things about "breaking it in" and all that. Could that be it? Ive had it six days and have 800 miles on it, this is my 3ed full tank and I can fully tell yet but it looks like it "might" be getting better. I am a very good driver and pretty much all those are highway miles (40miles one way to work). Anyways just wanted some opinions.

Second is about my intake. As for modding my car, first thing Im doing is getting an eiback pro system and switching my rims from my last car over. Then I want intake and exhaust. Now for intake I have been reading and looking around and I think I have decided on 2. Either the Iceman or the FS CoolFlow 2.3l. The iceman is probably cheaper, would the Coolflow give me any better results? I eventually want to SC it, perhaps with a vortech kit, I might have enough saved up by the time they come out. But for sure within a year. But as of right now I am leaving towards the iceman and possibly adding an SVT scoop.

Thanks in advance for any info. peace

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Hello all,

Just got a black 03 pzev and Im stoked! I got a few questions in my beginning quest as a focus owner though.

The first is a bit of a concern. I know they say 28 city and 34 highway and that could be exaggerated. But what I am getting now is just...well lets just say not very pleasing. My last car was an 87 honda accord and I got 300mpg, I get just a bit over that with my focus. Now I have heard a few things about "breaking it in" and all that. Could that be it? Ive had it six days and have 800 miles on it, this is my 3ed full tank and I can fully tell yet but it looks like it "might" be getting better. I am a very good driver and pretty much all those are highway miles (40miles one way to work). Anyways just wanted some opinions.

Second is about my intake. As for modding my car, first thing Im doing is getting an eiback pro system and switching my rims from my last car over. Then I want intake and exhaust. Now for intake I have been reading and looking around and I think I have decided on 2. Either the Iceman or the FS CoolFlow 2.3l. The iceman is probably cheaper, would the Coolflow give me any better results? I eventually want to SC it, perhaps with a vortech kit, I might have enough saved up by the time they come out. But for sure within a year. But as of right now I am leaving towards the iceman and possibly adding an SVT scoop.

Thanks in advance for any info. peace
Neither of those intakes work with the 2.3L. Currently there are really no intakes available for our cars. Some of the regular exhausts will fit...but no one has tried yet.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Oh and about my driving...i've gotten 34 all highway, 29 mixed and around 25 in town all the time. I've gone about as low as 23 if I reef on it all the time. This is a lot better than the zetec was though!

·
Registered
506 Posts
that's what I was thinking...

Who'd you sell it to because I wanna buy it!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heh, damn did I say 300mpg? [censored] I wish. I was lookin forward to a 2.3 CAI, I'll keep a look out though.

BTW, I am on my 4th tank and the MPG seems to be getting better slowly

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
I have owned an SPI focus, and currently have a Zetec focus. (no PZEV yet though I guess that's next on my list
) Both cars kept improving in gas mileage up to 14,000 miles.
The SPI started out getting 180 miles to 3/4 (8 gallons) a tank and eventually got up to about 250 miles to ¾ a tank. My Zetec started out getting about 180 miles to a TANK (10.5 gallons from full to empty lite) its now up to about 250 to a tank. Just hang in there the PZEV is prolly gonna be the same way, and gas mileage will keep improving for a wile.
The strange thing about my cars is the mileage seams to improve all at once in bursts. Like my Zetec got the same mileage up to about 8000 miles, then it all of a sudden went up, same happened at 10,000 and 12,000 miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts