Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Q: When is a 4\" tip OK? A: When it\'s a Supertrapp!

Well I figured it was about time to make this post. I have had this on for just over a week now and I am loving it.

<font color="blue"> What is it?: </font>
For those of you in the know, all I have to do is mention Supertrapp and you know why they are so great. For the rest of you I'll let this diagram off the Supertrapp web site explain it all.

For more info on how the disc technology works, go HERE.

<font color="blue"> Cost: </font>
It was $150 for the Supertrapp from www.summitracing.com, and $125 for the 2.25" custom bent pipe. Total: $275 for a unique tuneable exhaust system!

<font color="blue"> Sound: </font>
The sound is great; I can go from wild to mild at my whim. I have been using 10 and 12 discs mostly and I'm liking both but I think I'll use 10 as my normal setup. Is it ricey? Well, I'm not going to lie to you it sounds like a 4 banger, but it also sounds exactly like what a Supertrapp should. No surprises there. There is an awesome burble when you down shift that keeps burbling till you stop. Even with no discs (straight pipe, no muffling) the sound is definetly bareable. I have heard cars with mufflers that sound louder than mine with a straight pipe.

<font color="red"> I have 5 sound clips in mp3 format if someone want to host them! </font>

<font color="blue"> Power: </font>
No dynos here but all I can say is "wow". Power from about 4K up is much improved. The pull from 5K to 6K is about the same as 4K-5K, unlike berfore when it felt like I hit a wall at about 5500 rpm. Even with no discs I didn't notice a loss in low end torque. To be honest I could care less about low end torque. When I need power I need it to be above 4K 'cause that's where it matters. I'll let you know how it really does when I go to my next track day on Aug. 20.

<font color="blue"> Looks: </font>
Well, Supertrapps already have that love it or hate look. Do to the space constraints (Supertrapp is 17" long) there wasn't any good way to make it exit straight out. This isn't exactally how I wanted it to come out but it definetaly has grown on me. Then again it could be because of the fact that it is my car and I have to like it, but who really knows...

<font color="blue"> Pictures: </font>
Here you go. More pics in full size can be foundHERE

On the car:

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
Re: Q: When is a 4\" tip OK? A: When it\'s a Supertrapp!

wow. thats a really sharp bend in the exhaust! shoulda come under the axle, IMO. I dont really like it. looks like straight pipe with a cap on it. I thought supertrap had like a colored disc or something on it.
if you like it though.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts

Was that made for a bike?

Lox

·
Registered
374 Posts

wow. thats a really sharp bend in the exhaust! shoulda come under the axle, IMO
tristan does not have all wheel drive last time I checked so this axle you speak about would be really hard to go under or over, or even through for that matter, and for being a sharp bend???

keep up the good work captain, I look forward to hearing it on the track

·
Registered
3,398 Posts

You should of had them cut the end of the SuperTrapp off so it could be tucked up further. Thats what I did to mine and I love the way it looks. But congrats on the Supertrapp. Hopefully, you'll love yours as much as I have loved mine.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts

I've heard SuperTrapps on Several cars, and they KICK ASS for Power and Tone.
You should just hear an otherwise Stock WRX w/ only SuperTrapps added...
It sounds DEEP, SWEET, and relatively Quiet.
The WRX Almost sounds V-8ish, and has a nice growl.
It Definitely a Racer's Alternative.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts

wow. thats a really sharp bend in the exhaust! shoulda come under the axle, IMO
tristan does not have all wheel drive last time I checked so this axle you speak about would be really hard to go under or over, or even through for that matter, and for being a sharp bend???

keep up the good work captain, I look forward to hearing it on the track
yeah, my bad. I should have said rear control arm. thanks for pointing that out. (shaking fist)

·
Super Moderator
12,448 Posts

Linky no workie.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts

Nice job on the recordings. I think I'll loop all of them together and just listen to them all day at work!

I'd have to say that I like the '12 discs' the best.

On the other hand, the first thing I thought was it sounds kind of like a sick chain saw? But I still like it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Oh yeah, I should mention that in the sound clips you will hear me hold a consistent RPM for a few seconds. I was doing that at exactly 3000RPM just to compare a "crusing" sound.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts

on the website, they say that abrupt changes to flow are bad, so that other mufflers, since they have abrupt changes in exhaust flow, are inherently inferior (paraphrase).
but the discs at the end change exhaust flow as well....

?

either way, it definately looks sweet.

·
Registered
184 Posts

The sound links for for me, so maybe he fixed them...

Watch this space, I'll soon have some vids posted here.

·
Registered
993 Posts

eww

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts

Interesting. Almost sounds like a bike in the first couple of clips.

Its kind of a love-hate relationship for me. Some sound, dare I say, 'ricey', others sound sweet, and I love the adjustiblity for the track.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

jinstall has one installed on his car, i think he routed the muffler under the center and then out towards the exhaust notch. since the pipe comes straight down the middle anyways, it seems to me that would be the best way to route it. much less bending than going up and over like the stock muffler. supertrapp is best used on straight pipes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts