Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thats affirmative...

just gotta get used to getting off the line with stock gears again...and a lighter flywheel/clutch, havent had that combo before, so its a bit more work, especially with a custom billet pressure plate clutch that grabs...well, as hard as i can grab jaylo's booty if i could

and for those that know already, the new motorcraft specicif focus tranny fluid, is god's own holy oil...$15 a quart, but this stuff is gold

[ 03-24-2003, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: nazthug ]

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry for double postin, but i wanted to bump this

YOU GUYS need to get to ford and buy this new FOCUS SPECIFIC MOTORCRAFT tranny fluid, its about $20 a quart, but trust me, this stuff works.

That low rpm 1000-1500rpm grinding noise is ALOT ALOT quieter, shifting is SMOOOOOTH and the gears feel much tighter, the shifter moves around and comes back very nicely, very firm and very positive.

AGAIN, props up to WALTER again for putting together another fine tranny for me, works beautifully, clutch is great, stiffer at first 1/2 travel, and light at the end, but VERY easy to drive and alot more positive, the car just feels lighter now that it doesnt slip, because all the power goes down and i dont have to push it as hard, so the car just moves effortlessly

1 more week and some slicks, and im goin back to the track with the new setup, race gas and some REAL timing
and 2 weeks after that, willow springs racing school for 2 dayz

[ 03-25-2003, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: nazthug ]

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Originally posted by tsmithr1:
if its like 20 bucks a quart, how many do i need to fill up the tranny?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ditto

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tranny takes exactly 2.5 quarts...hahha, so you gotta buy 3 quarts

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
left all the bottles at walters shop, but i will call tomorow to get it

went for another drive, HOLY ****, i cant imagine going back, the power from the turbo is USELESS in anything more than about a 5* turn

Its totally best for cornering traction in 2nd and 3rd, 1st is still too much power and it just lights up both, but now going around faster, longer corners in 2nd gear, on the exit i can just punch it to the ground, and you can actualy hear the LSD working, its a weird feeling, you almost have to hold the steering wheel tight, because it just turns it by itself, the inside wheel just bites, and the outside just pulls the car around, you have to get used to it, but its definetly something you can TOTALY feel with the power from a turbo

Before i would totally light them up, not just in the turn, but in the exit, i would have to be literraly 100% straight before i can punch it, now i can floor it about 1/2 way out of the turn, its AMAZING what this piece of metal can do, i am TOTALLY AMAZED and in love, i can just pull out of turns now under power

WOOooooohooooooooooo

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, that sucks. I just bought 2 liters of Redline from FocusSport for my tranny. That doesn't help me.
Anyway, you have the Torsen. What made you choose this over the Quaife?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
rock on man
im waitin to hear from my cousin on a junkyard trans right now... I'll have to try out the fluid when i do the swap

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by nazthug:
tranny takes exactly 2.5 quarts...hahha, so you gotta buy 3 quarts
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I thought it only took 2.1 quarts?

I put Mobil 1 atf in mine and I just used 2 quarts. The car was on level ground(I used a level) when I checked it, and it was barely under the fill hole.

But, if this 2.5 quarts is a new thing, then I'll have to get some of Fords fluid, or just get some Redline MTL.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
redline is suposed to be real good, but this stuff is specific...so i got it

[ 03-25-2003, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: nazthug ]

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lsd + race clutch = yummy

[ 03-28-2003, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: nazthug ]

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Did you finally get it all together and in?

- Drew

·
Registered
631 Posts
...2 weeks after that, willow springs racing school for 2 dayz
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Naz what's this racing school you're talking about?
When is it going down, how much$$, and is there still room to join?

BTW - Sounds like you got a real nice set up now!
Did you go back to stock gearing or do you still have the 4.06 set in the tranny?

So you going to start running some open track event now? //in an evil voice// "come... join the darkside...run open track events..."

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, stock gears, with the turbo, it makes NO difference, it still lights them up in 1st/2nd so no matter, but its a bit more controlled.

The LSD is just plain awesome, the car is a completely different animal

I noticed that the more torque you have the more the LSD does, its not as noticable with a lower power car, like on naders car, he has the torsen but only bolt ons in the engine and you can feel it but not huge. ON my car, just floor it around a corner in 2nd gear, and point the car...it literally sucks the car around the corner, you have to be carefull, cause it pulls it in hard, its awesome, freakin awesome

YES, i am gonna start doin track events HARDCORE, just gotta pick up some bigger brakes and im set...

I was always interested in track events, not much of a autocross guy and drag racing gets boring

·
Registered
195 Posts
nazthug... do you have a part number for the tranny fluid (assuming you're not pulling our leg)?

somesort of number that the dealership can use to look up the fluid?

Thanks.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The LSD is just plain awesome, the car is a completely different animal
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What's the torque split on your LSD? 30/70% or 20/80?

YES, i am gonna start doin track events HARDCORE, just gotta pick up some bigger brakes and im set...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So what's the name of the driving school you mentioned? The next open track event in mid-Cali(half way between San Jose and LA area) is at ButtonWillow, April 18 click here for more info. I think we may have a good number of peeps from SoCal going this event... let us know!

I was always interested in track events... and drag racing gets boring
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">aaaHHH... so you have seen the light!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Naz, congrats on the improvements. Does the lighter flywheel really make alot of noise?

Sorry for asking but Im considering one and this has been the sticking point for me.

Thanks

George

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the FC clutch flywheel is great, its a bit smaller then stock so the weight is towards the bottom, so its supposed to improve momentum...a bit more noise, but not something very noticable, and this new oil REALLY makes it better, i cant even tell...

the quaife is great, the torsen was on backorder i heard from ford racing for a LONG time so there goes that

So wooohooo i got the quaife...split is like up to 63% or something...but its MAGIC, i cant say it enough, for those of you who have a turbo...its just like the hand of god holding your car, go into a turn, 2nd gear, and gun it, all 250ft.lb of torque and nothing but a chirp, power transfer and it just rips the turn up...it just pulls into it, you have to be careful cause you have to correct the steering, if you hold it, its gonna turn too much, cause it just pulls the car around, i LOVE IT, best mod so far for this car, really makes hte car feel like a real world SPORTS CAR, just feels like i have a $100000 computer controlling my traction or something, its that freaking good.

So...the FC clutch/flywheel and quaife are the 2 best improvements i have made in a while.

[ 03-28-2003, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: nazthug ]

·
Registered
753 Posts
[QBwell, as hard as i can grab jaylo's booty if i could[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">haha YAAAAA

1 - 20 of 22 Posts