Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a breakdown of the parts needed to install the diff, bearings gaskets etc. along with the parts #'s. I'm having the work done but it would be nice to give my mechanic a list of whats needed ahead of time

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm going to start this job next week (4.06:1 gears and the Torsen). So I could tell you in a couple of weeks.

However, looking at the manual doesn't suggest much. I have heard that it is next to impossible to pull the bearing off the outbound possition of the shaft. So I did purchase S7RZ 4221 AC in advance.

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
keep in mind that not all the mtx-75 can take the 406 gear there is a 1 piece shaft and a 2 piece shaft ,,the 406 will only work with the 2 piece shaft

if you take the bearing off the 1 piece shaft ford does not have one to replace it with

tom

·
Registered
606 Posts
I did a search and the only thing I came up with was this.. I'm sure there is more.

[ 08-14-2002: Message edited by: Hooked Again ]</p>

·
Registered
578 Posts
Well this certainly raises my anxiety level!

Is there any way to tell which transmission I have short of tearing it apart? If I give my dealer my VIN will he be able to tell me? Was the two shaft the old or new design (I have a 2002 ZX5)?

Does this explain why CSC magazine showed the shaft without a gear on it and the Focus Central shaft has gears?

Any chance Nadar is listening? How can I email this thread to Focus Central? Perhaps they have some insight for me because I bought my gears through them.

I think I need a beer.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Well, I was hoping to hear more.

I'll be installing the FC flywheel, Torsen, and *hopefully* the 4:06:1 gears this weekend. Sure would be sweet if it all works out. It is a MAJOR task so I'd like to do it in one shot.

So, if you have any additional counsel, I'm all ears!

After the tanny, I'd like to do the SVT connecting rods and the Ford Racing heads. But for those of you following my quest, you know I can't find those parts yet!

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Anybody have the numbers for the differential bearing *shims*? It's not in the Ford computer. This shims for the ATX are close, but not quite right.

·
Registered
578 Posts
What was certainly a potential set back on this issue may have a happy ending! While I didn't do the swap this weekend as planned (still struggleing to get the left half shaft out of the tranny - any hints out there? The right side popped out no problem), it appears that a solution is at hand.

I will let you know the solution after I can verify it is correct. So those of you wanting to switch your final drive ratio may have hope yet!

Hopefully next weekend I'll be back in the tranny!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Originally posted by P-51:
Anybody have the numbers for the differential bearing *shims*? It's not in the Ford computer. This shims for the ATX are close, but not quite right.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Anybody??? I need the shims for my differential, too.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
you only need the differential bearings from what i've been told by 2 ppl that have had the quaife installed. I have those part numbers somewhere.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I started a thread somewhere else...but I also need the part numbers for the Speed Sensor Ring found on the Differential, and the #'s for the flywheel bolts. Any ideas?

Here is the part # for the diff bearings: F7RZ-4221-AC

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
A lot of people are doing the transmission without changing the shims. It appears to work ok so far...

But I'm a "Do it right the first time" kinda guy.

I'm likely just going to make my own shims.

·
Registered
105 Posts
What shims are you talking about? Why change the shims??

I put a Torsen a while ago and never bothered about shims...! Could that be the cause of the strange noise coming out of my tranny since?!?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Originally posted by PhocusZX3:
I started a thread somewhere else...but I also need the part numbers for the Speed Sensor Ring found on the Differential, and the #'s for the flywheel bolts. Any ideas?

Here is the part # for the diff bearings: F7RZ-4221-AC
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The speed sensor is actually called a "trigger wheel" and its part number is: ZS4Z 7H150 AB

·
Registered
578 Posts
Originally posted by quick77:

I put a Torsen a while ago and never bothered about shims...! Could that be the cause of the strange noise coming out of my tranny since?!?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You need to shim your input and output shafts and your differential. In essence, the shims "adjust" the tighness of the bearings and the location of the parts relative to each other. Alignment is critical in the tranny. Incorrect spacing can cause excessive wear and noice.

I agree with the chap who said "do it right the first time". That is why I've been waiting 5 weeks now for shims!!!

My Ford dealer has finally made contact with the tranny manufacturer (funny oxymoron isn't that?) and will have an answer from their engineers soon. I'll let you know what I hear. However, the latest impression is: Don't need *different* differential shims in this tranny. Only need to use the ones that are already there.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Originally posted by Stay Focused:
The speed sensor is actually called a "trigger wheel" and its part number is: ZS4Z 7H150 AB
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm not doubting you...but just to make sure...you are 100% positive that this is the part number I need along with the differential bearings? If so, I am putting in the order tonight. Thanks for your help.

Now all I need is the flywheel bolts. I think I have a part number for those though.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Just sit tight one more day. I'm heading over to the garage tomorrow morning to read the number off the bag just to verify the number. I tried reading it off the billing, but some people's penmanship ......

·
Registered
11,123 Posts

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The shims set the preload in the bearings. Too much preload will make the bearings fail prematurely, and too little will probably make the shaft move around, making noise, and early failure.

Guys, this proceedure is right in the service manual. I can't believe you guys are letting people open your transmission who aren't following the service proceedure.

Yeah, it could be causing the noise in your tranny.

I was starting to think maybe it wasn't necessary, but I'm hearing more and more people talking about tranny noise...

·
Registered
578 Posts
Originally posted by PhocusZX3:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Stay Focused:
The speed sensor is actually called a "trigger wheel" and its part number is: ZS4Z 7H150 AB
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm not doubting you...but just to make sure...you are 100% positive that this is the part number I need along with the differential bearings? If so, I am putting in the order tonight. Thanks for your help.

Now all I need is the flywheel bolts. I think I have a part number for those though.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Good thing you doubted me. It is the WRONG part. I'm getting the right info and will send it over as soon as I can. Sorry for any inconvenience my dealer cause all of us!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts