Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed before, but i just wanted to get some details straight

I heard that the torsen can transfer more power to 1 wheel, like 71% vs 63% for the quaife

Is this really gonna be that noticable? I know the quaife is billet....is the torsen really that much weaker?

I am just debating the strenght vs the power transfer....seems like the quaife is better for drag racing on slicks but the torsen is better 99% of the time on the street, because it can transfer more power..is this true?

Since this isnt specific to zetec or FI, i figured since its for a FI application in my case, i would post here, sound fair enough?

[ 03-16-2003, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: nazthug ]

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
For ease of searching in the future, FI is going to be used for specific relation to forced induction, and Zetec tuning for everything else engine/transmission related. Moving to Zetec tuning.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes I am very interested in some info on these 2 products, and I would really like to see some actual results and data, not just speculation
Anyways, all I know is that the FR200 had the torsen T-2 setup in it........any guesses why they chose it over the Quaiffe ??

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Originally posted by Rexthespeedster:
I wanna know, too!

Which diff will perform better in rough, rally like condiditions?

Rex
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You want a Torsen for a rally car as the Quaife requires both front wheels on the ground to work.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
the kaaz diff is more rally friendly than the torsen. the torsen and quaife share the same style mechanicisms, which r't the optimum 4 wheels that r leavin the road time and again.

-Ult

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Originally posted by Chris F:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Rexthespeedster:
I wanna know, too!

Which diff will perform better in rough, rally like condiditions?

Rex
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You want a Torsen for a rally car as the Quaife requires both front wheels on the ground to work.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">hmmmmmmmm.......isn't the Torsen a very, very similar design to the quaife, and may have the same challenges when wheels are airborne? Dunno,

anyone?

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Yes, but they have a T2-R that has preload that allows it to still work while airborne. Of course, that is not the off-the-shelf MTX-75 diff that you can buy through Ford Motorsport.

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Originally posted by teamDFL:
Yes, but they have a T2-R that has preload that allows it to still work while airborne. Of course, that is not the off-the-shelf MTX-75 diff that you can buy through Ford Motorsport.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What if it "fell off the truck"?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I dunno if torsen offers this, but you might want to keep this in mind. The Quaife comes with a lifetime warranty

·
Registered
189 Posts
Didn't know this was still getting hashed around! I did quite a bit of research on this for my SVT Contour. I posted about this nearly a year go in this thread: http://www.focaljet.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=007245#000020

cut&paste

The configuration of gearing between the two is essentially the same. Torsen claims their design has better balanced loads along the planet gearing. This makes the gears in Torsen's design less prone to trying to "tip" within the bores they ride in. Planet gear tipping concentrates forces on the ends of the gears, and this increases gear wear in those areas, especially during a spin condition. Gears from other types of similar diffs can lose up to .020" on the ends of the gears...that's quite significant. Besides that possible durability issue, the function is largely the same.

In response to that, Quaife claims that it utilizes more internal pinion gears than the competition. This allows for far greater tooth contact which of course promotes increased strength and helps to absorb some of the forces put on the diff housing.

The Quaife differential housing is manufactured from billet steel while the Torsen unit is a cast housing. While a cast housing suffices in OEM applications where the power will not be upgraded, in a high performance or racing environment the stakes are much higher. Any significant power upgrades will increase loads and forces and eventually break a cast housing as the stresses put on the housing are too great. That's probably why Quaife feels comfortable with a limited lifetime warranty, even when used for all out competition...billet steel!

In the case of the design for the MTX-75, the bias ratio of the Quaife seems to be about 1.7:1 or so (puts up to about 63% to the better tractioned wheel), whereas the Torsen is about 2.4:1 (puts about 71% to better side). For reference, the stock open diff is about 1:1, putting only about 50% to either side.

So, the Torsen for this application should provide even better traction than the Quaife. This was confirmed by vehicle testing FRPP did comparing the two, and they decided in favor of the Torsen in their FR200 and in their performance catalog...I'm sure price was a consideration as well...

BUT...they had to replace that Torsen in the FR200 several times! Torsen claims other tranmission failures led to the damaged units.

Personally, I think the bottom line is this:

Torsen offers better biasing but if you're going for big power, avoid!

Quaife offers almost as good biasing and is bullet proof! A must have for BIG power!!!

[ 03-17-2003, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: wonj ]

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
and I think I remember thanking you for great info back then.....so thanks again!

so btw...to your knowledge, how does a torsen respond to an unloaded (airborne) wheel?

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey zxmurph:

Do you actually notice a traction difference around corners with the quaife?

Nader says he drove both the torsen and teh quaife, and he says the torsen has a bigger traction affect, and the quaife is less noticable

I would love the torsen on teh streets over the quaife where strength isnt teh biggest issue, but the quaife is nice if youre draggin on slicks

Kinda sux, cause most of my driving is on the street, but i do like to go to the strip once in a while....damnit...why cant we have both

·
Registered
189 Posts
Originally posted by ZXmurph:
so btw...to your knowledge, how does a torsen respond to an unloaded (airborne) wheel?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">you were completely correct in your response above...neither the quaife nor the torsen t-2 is effective if one side goes airborne. they both multiply the torque available from the wheel that is starting to lose traction and sends that available torque (multiplied by the torque bias ratio) to the slower turning wheel with the better traction. a wheel in the air provides zero torque...zero times the torque bias ratio equals? ZERO!

i think someone already mentioned that to combat this you need something like the torsen t-2r with pre-load.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
damnit..i like the more biasing of the torsen, but im doin 230whp now and will be 300whp max this summer, and i drag race ONCE in a while, i know on street tires, there is no issue, but for that once in a while track event on slicks...should i be worried about the torsen, seriously???

Damn, so its 1%(track) vs 99% street...aaaahhhh

·
Registered
189 Posts
Originally posted by nazthug:
I would love the torsen on teh streets over the quaife where strength isnt teh biggest issue, but the quaife is nice if youre draggin on slicks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">the torsen, with it's greater TBR, should be more effective in any street or racing condition over the quaife. FRPP found this to be true when they tested each side by side. the torsen only falls short when an engine is trying to push upwards of 300hp. then, the weaker cast housing of the torsen may fail...this has the added bonus of possibly causing considerably more damage than just the destroyed diff.

in contrast, the billet steel housing of the quaife should hold up just fine with increasing loads and forces.

as far as i'm concerened it's really this simple: if you think you're gonna push your car upwards 275+ FWHP, get the quaife...better safe than sorry. otherwise, get the torsen...better biasing, better performance.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Originally posted by nazthug:
damnit..i like the more biasing of the torsen, but im doin 230whp now and will be 300whp
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">300whp? that's FR200 territory...the FR200 ate torsen diff's for lunch. get the quaife.

[ 03-17-2003, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: wonj ]

·
Registered
400 Posts
Originally posted by wonj:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by ZXmurph:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">you were completely correct in your response above...neither the quaife nor the torsen t-2 is effective if one side goes airborne. they both multiply the torque available from the wheel that is starting to lose traction and sends that available torque (multiplied by the torque bias ratio) to the slower turning wheel with the better traction. a wheel in the air provides zero torque...zero times the torque bias ratio equals? ZERO!

i think someone already mentioned that to combat this you need something like the torsen t-2r with pre-load.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I was actually reading up on differentials on howstuffworks.com the other day and came across an interesting tidbit:

"The HMMVV, or Hummer, uses Torsen® differentials on the front and rear axles. The owner's manual for the Hummer proposes a novel solution to the problem of one wheel coming off the ground: Apply the brakes. By applying the brakes, torque is applied to the wheel that is in the air, and then five times that torque can go to the wheel with good traction."

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by wonj:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by nazthug:
damnit..i like the more biasing of the torsen, but im doin 230whp now and will be 300whp
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">300whp? that's FR200 territory...the FR200 ate torsen diff's for lunch. get the quaife.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">shouldnt it really be more on how you launch/and what kind of tires?

I mean even if you run 300whp, youre not gonna break a diff on a roll just feeding throttle, the main abuse only comes from the launch right? I mean, if you have a 150whp car but you launch at 7000rpm on FULL 10.5" slicks, and you have a 300whp car that you just drive around hard, i think the 150whp car will break the diff first...

So now its just a matter of how much racing i will be doing at the strip...

Otherwise, i dont see how you can break even a stock diff on a road track or something.
Damnit, i really should get the torsen just because most of my driving will be on the street/road course, but then there is always the chances of goin to the strip with slicks....Does someone make a diff that has BOTH?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts