Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me and a buddy of mine got this crazy idea in our heads that we're gonna build us a go-kart someday. thats fine, shouldn't be too hard. but i got the even crazier idea of putting a simple 2-speed transmission on it to make it go extremely unsafe speeds

my question is: has anyone built a go-kart from scratch before? we'd probably be using an old lawnmower engine, unless told otherwise. and will the transmission thing have a chance in hell of working, and where would i find something like that? thanks!

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
hahhaa....me and nader have been just talking about doin this...its great, we're gonna build one this summer

But i wanna make it a turbo, like that turbo STOOL gocart, with the 5hp engine PLUS a IHI tinny little turbo, thats awesome i think, i definetly wanna make it a turbo go cart, that would be sweet, with a BOV and all

·
Registered
674 Posts
Do a web search for formula SAE. This is a national contest with mostly college participation. In the competition, students build up a tube-frame chasis, one seat car. We had an old one sitting around my school while I was in futuretruck.

The car had an aluminum tube-frame chasis with a 600cc ninja engine and a snowmobile CVT transmision. We had a few chances to drive it in a closed parking lot. There is no comparisison to a real car. The "car" weighed about 550 lbs + driver (I am about 140), the engine generated massive power (especially with ths stinger on the back), and it had slicks that looked fit for a true formula car. Needles to say the thing was a rocket. In the '93 or '94 competition (can't remember) it accelerated to 60 MPH in under 4 seconds and turned 1.2 g on the lateral skidpad.

Many automotive engineers get started working on these cars along with programs like futuretruck. I have a good friend that now works for Saleen after we visited their plant during competition.

I'll dig up picture in a minute, but trust me, this is what you want to build.

from here: http://www.sae.org/students/fsae2002pix.htm

[ 04-04-2003, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: focalxplosion ]

·
Registered
209 Posts
I made a go kart from some old angle iron last summer, I sed a 250 motor cycle engine. It was stupid fast. This one was a 6 speed. We topped it out at about 60 mph with drive tires off a civic. Steering sucked big time, we could never get that right.

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
well, the tranny thing is easy (shifter Karts with six-speed trannys race all the time with a 120-130 top speed).

the main thing is you really need to fabricate a jig in which to weld up the tube frame, if not you will have a hell of a time getting it straight (the welds want to twist when you are welding it together).

good luck, John

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I built a Go kart before back in High school.

I started with just a square tubing frame, small wheels, and 5hp Briggs snowblower motor with a cetrifugal clutch and chain drive..let's say, it was SLOW!!

THEN, I expanded, built it into a dune buggy, I added full roll bars, top, sides all of it, I then bought a 3 wheeler, chopped the front wheel/suspension off, then I welded the rear end of the 3 wheeler to my dune buggy!

I made the steering system myself, the front suspension, everything, it was awesome!

But after that year, the welding teacher said there would NEVER be anyone alowed to build go karts anymore!

Damn, to be back in the day again!

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
I'd suggest getting a 125 or 250cc 4 stroke motorcycle engine from a scrap bike. You'll have the gearbox and a decent powerplant for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
i want more info on how to incorporate the motorcycle engine/tranny into a go cart

we can get/build a frame fairly easily, there are tons of plans out there, but how do you hook up the motorcycle engine/tranny to it? I think 125cc would be plenty, originally, i thought of doing just a simple brings motor with single speed, but i really want a tranny now.

Anyone see the briggs powered turbo stool ? Used an IHI turbocharger, it was awesome

·
Registered
717 Posts
I second the 4-stroke bike motor idea. If you get a chain-drive bike and you don't mind having a live rear axle (is this an off-road kart, or a track kart?), you can get a big sprocket and attach it to the axle just like it attaches to the wheel on a bike.

[ 04-04-2003, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Bantha Fodder ]

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Man i have always tought of doing this. I also though of making an RC car with a big motor in it so it would be hella fast. Think of a fast go-kart, with about 200 pounds less of human. THAT WOULD ROCK. I figure if you can do it to an 82 camry, a go-kart would be easy. I would also love to see an AWD go-kart
. L8er jon

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this would just be for romping around and having fun on. off road, perhaps, but no mudding, im talking just driving through grassy fields

but no, this isn't for a race or track kart. just for fun.

·
Registered
222 Posts
woah, geuss i missed this topic the first time around.

well in my auto-service class in h.s. we are just starting making a go-kart, just for ****'s and giggles. we have this masive (probably) 500cc engine off a '77 honda motorcycle, we're gonna use the trany too, connected to a live axle. it's gonna be a 2 seater, and more for off road use. today we just got the engine turned over, and it is looking real good w/ just 16k miles on it.

next week we're gonna start welding the frame (come to school during spring break, but it'll be worth it!). our only problem is how did you guys weld tube stock when u wanted it to butt together in a 'T'? we really can't afford dimand planted hole saws to cut out a 'C' in the tube to make it flush (anyone understand?). this things gonna be fast!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Get a toilet paper inner roll thing and wrap it around the pipe that is gonna hit the other perpindicular, slide it off a couple inches and use a pen or marker and mark the paper with the curve on either side that would go around the other pipe. Cut the paper and slide it back on the pipe and mark the pipe then cut. some grinding will be needed to get it flush but this is the easiest way. Alot of weld area too.
Josh

[ 04-11-2003, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Z_Hex_3 ]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts