Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question about Koni\'s (sports / yellow)

I finally received my Koni's in the mail today!! Can't wait to do my suspension, I've been waiting so long.

They came in red Koni boxes, 2 rear shocks in one box & 1 front strut per box. They all came with a few nuts & washers, but the fronts ONLY came with detached plastic knobs meant to be used for adjusting dampening via the very top of the strut-rod. The rear shocks look like they use the same knob or work the same way, but came with no knob. On the box it says "Special "D" adjusting system" or something like that. I thought they were supposed to adjust with an allen wrench or something. Does all this sound right for the koni's meant for a focus?

Not that I'm any expert, but these things are the beefiest dampeners I've ever seen. The welds at the bottom holding that ring / bushing on don't seem to do the rest of the shock / strut justice. I guess that's normal right?

Finally, Koni's included instructions / documentation SUCKS! It's a few small pieces of paper with pictures & NO text. Some of it referrs to how the struts are adjusted, some to how they are installed, but I saw nothing about how the rear shocks are adjusted, and NONE of any of it made any sense. LOL... is all that normal?

I bought them from JDMWerks on Ebay. It was the best price I could find at $540 shipped. I'm just trying to make sure I got quality product for my money, considering I took a gamble on ebay. Thanks!!

J

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Re: Question about Koni\'s (sports / yellow)

The rears should adjust from the top using the same plastic knob that the fronts use.

At least that is how mine work.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

The only piece of documentation you really need is the chart on how to reassemble and drill out the washer in the upper mount for the rear shock.

Otherwise, Mr. Blue-73 nailed it. Same knob on both ends... put one in your toolbox and one in your glovebox.

EDIT: Unless you got the old style rear Konis that have to be removed from the car to be adjusted. I sure home not.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Nah, they look like they all are adjusted from the top with the tool. I just wasn't sure. I've never seen a Koni in person before, and all the pics I've seen had the knob on the side- but I guess that was just marketing or something.

And I've done an oem for oem suspension swap before as a measure of maintenance, so I can reference stuff from the Jet to walk me through my pending upgrade. But the stuff in the Koni boxes is more confusing than it is helpful. They should include better documentation, or none at all compared to the crap on paper that came with my shocks!!

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

Honestly, I didn't think it was that bad.

Seriously though.. make sure to study the diagram for the rear reassembly... some interesting mix of new and old parts.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

What is that collar that is welded on to the rods?

EDIT: Doh!! I see, nevermind.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts

Koni's are soo nice... I got kyb agx for almost half the price of konis.... I got half of the performance damping as well though

I'm happy with my budget suspension but sure do envy those beefy konis.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yea, I'm the kind of person where, if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it 100% quality. I'm doing the full setup- 2" apex springs, koni's, poly front lower control arm bushings, possibly rear trailing arm bushings. CAN NOT WAIT!!!!

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

That's comming. I have an ST, so I think it's got a 20mm in there now. I haven't done any research into which of a 22 or 24mm bar I want yet. Plus, I might just keep an eye out in the classifieds for a while to see what goes up for sale. I might be able to find a deal- I'm a bargain hunter.

I've got money committed to Marcy's exhaust headder group buy already, so I need to cool it with the spending after that for a while. 'Cause to put the headder on, I'm planning on buying a Trubends 2.5" exhaust also- money here, money there. You know.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts

Damn, too bad you aren't local or else we would be having ourselves a project day...

I'm trying to wait patiently for the header (marcy)... But sublimally, I'm constantly thinking about it. I wouldn't be surprised If i rip open the box and Install it right away...

so yea, i'm stoked about the header... I can't wait... This altought I've learned from the MM CAI, patience is virtue...

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

lol... I wish I had the time to make a drive out to Cali just to swing by Walter's shop. But if you're ever east side, let me know & I'll take ya out for a beer or something.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts