Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an oil change coming up and as thinkin of changin to synthetic, what are the pros and cons of doing so please.
also how long do i have to go between changes?

thanks,

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
the only thing thats PROVEN is that its better for your engine, especially under extreme stress and heat and all that. people say you get better mpg and maybe .5-1hp improvement, but whatever. i run it, just in case. mobil 1

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Synthetic Pros: Longer lasting, better cold and better hot lubrication. Under extreme conditions, such as dead cold startup and high performance/high temp conditions, clearly superior to conventional motor oils. Supplied by Porsche in their new cars, that shoul;d tell you something about it's capabilities. Cons: More expensive, although 18.88 at WalMart for 5 qts of Mobil 1 isn't too bad, especially if you follow factory recommended oil change intervals while using the synthetic. For unboosted and/or unmodified cars driven easily and properly maintained w/ regular motor oil, probably not worth the extra money.
I have used Mobil 1 exclusively since it came on the market and in my 2000 ZX3. As hard as I run the car, oil is something I don't have to worry about.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts