Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and could find anything. I know the oil filter, what oil to use threads have been talked about but actually couldn't find anything. Wonder if they goes tossed during the server issues.

Anyway, I just changed my oil and the dipstick just has 2 notches on it. I assume the lower one is low and upper one is max.

I put the 4.5 quarts in like the manual and autozone says is recommended. But when I check it the oil line is over the max notch. I checked it right after I did the oil change and then I checked again after I drove it for a bit and let it sit for 5-10min. Obviously the first time I checked it, it was over the max notch more than when I checked it after I drove it.

If there is too much oil in, at what point could it be harmful and should I remove some? I would say after driving it and checking it, the oil line is about 1/4" over the max notch. Maybe not even that much though.

·
Registered
751 Posts
As long as the tank isn't overflowing, you cant have too much! Reguardless of how much is in the tank, the pump will still inject the same amount of oil. So yea, the only problem would be overfilling and spilling oil on the hot engine, which cuases quite a spectacular smoke show

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
SonicBluSVT 02',
4.5 quarts is the correct amount to put in so no problem there.On the dipstick there are 2 notches on it the lower one means ADD and the top one means FULL.Now according to the owners manual and I quote "Oil levels above the MAX/FULL mark may cause engine damage.Some oil must be removed by a service technician".

Anyway,recheck the oil level again after driving your car then turn it off and wait a few minutes and see if it has gone down abit and settled back to the FULL level.Keep us updated.

·
Registered
262 Posts
SonicBluSVT 02',
4.5 quarts is the correct amount to put in so no problem there.On the dipstick there are 2 notches on it the lower one means ADD and the top one means FULL.Now according to the owners manual and I quote "Oil levels above the MAX/FULL mark may cause engine damage.Some oil must be removed by a service technician".

Anyway,recheck the oil level again after driving your car then turn it off and wait a few minutes and see if it has gone down abit and settled back to the FULL level.Keep us updated.
Yeah I read this in the owners manual. Do not believe everything you read. I dump 5 quarts of Mobil 1 and I can not see why 1/2 a quart high would make a difference.....they used to talk about foaming...etc..

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
As long as the tank isn't overflowing, you cant have too much! Reguardless of how much is in the tank, the pump will still inject the same amount of oil. So yea, the only problem would be overfilling and spilling oil on the hot engine, which cuases quite a spectacular smoke show

????? Where is oil being injected?

·
Registered
262 Posts
from AAA

"If the oil level is extremely high, the rotating crankshaft may strike the oil and cause the engine to labor harder. This can reduce gas mileage and actually lead to premature engine wear"

[censored].... 1/2 a quart don't make a ratts ass...

·
Registered
137 Posts
The dealership overfilled mine (zx3) on the first free oil change, and I got two blocks and the car started bucking and I looked out the back and it looked like an engine blowing up. Of course it takes quite a bit to make this happen but yes it will do damage, for one, it causes high oil pressure, enough to blow seals, but a ½ qt wouldn’t do that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts