Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know what it is, how to do it, etc. I had it done when I had my Focus. What I want to know is what exacty is being done when you use the jumper wire. What is getting connected to what with the jumper. The reason I want to know is that if I could apply this method to my Protege 5. I aksed on two different Protege boards but no one had an answer. They do theirs by cutting and rewiring the switch.

Could someone help me out here??

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Well, basically the fog relay is designed to shut off the fogs when the highs are on, and when the head lights are off

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
In addition to what Paolo said, is there a separate relay for the fogs on your car? Because if so, then you jump the two big pins to do the mod. I know this sounds a bit rhetorical.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In addition to what Paolo said, is there a separate relay for the fogs on your car? Because if so, then you jump the two big pins to do the mod. I know this sounds a bit rhetorical.
Yeah there is a seperate relay. I just didn't want to go sticking the jumper in not knowing what two wires I was jumping.

So how do I know if this will work with the relay in my P5 w/o actually trying it. I don't wanna end up frying something.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
C'mon. I know there are some electrical guru's on the board.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Can you just modify the relay like you can on the Focus? Basically force the relay to always be open?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you just modify the relay like you can on the Focus? Basically force the relay to always be open?
If I knew the in's and out's of relays and electrical stuff I probably could. But like I said I don't want to chance anything unless I am 100% sure.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Basically it would help if you could get a wiring diagram for the fog lights. What you are looking for is the relay for the fog lights and what triggers it. They some how will show the coil of the relay ( it should have lines coming to it from the headlight switch and or the hi/lo beam switch.

What you are trying to attempt is to jumper around those switch or switches so that when ever you set the fog light switch to 'on' it will trigger the relay. In the diagram all the wires will terminate on some type of pin number, use these numbers to match up with the relay and your all set.

·
Registered
729 Posts
try gettin a haynes or a chiltons manual,,,they have pretty good electrical schematics in them,,,shouldnt be hard to figure out with one of them

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
MMI-ZX3, my friend drives a Protege 5, he is members of a car club. I think he knows how to enable the fog light mod on his car, I'll tell you in PM.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MMI-ZX3, my friend drives a Protege 5, he is members of a car club. I think he knows how to enable the fog light mod on his car, I'll tell you in PM.
Yeah there is a couple of different ways it can be done that involve cutting wires that I have read. That is why I was hoping that it could be done with a jumper like the Focus. I would really rather not cut if possible.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
If its a similar relay to the Foci, its very easy to modify (easier then doing wires and stuff). I posted pictures on myfordfocus alittle while ago in the 'Fog Light Mod' thread.

·
Registered
729 Posts
i hate lookin at schematics,,,lol,,,i always get a headache,,,,i might be able to figure it out if i had a car in front of me,,,,but none of my friends have one...

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Yeah there is a couple of different ways it can be done that involve cutting wires that I have read. That is why I was hoping that it could be done with a jumper like the Focus. I would really rather not cut if possible.
sorry steve, I don't think you are goign to get out of cutting wires

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Don't be in a rush and DON'T cut any wires just yet.

How many pins are on the relay and are they all the same size and is there a schematic embossed into the relay housing? I keep a bunch of relays around and I will try and decipher the schematic for you. Don't ask. I like cars and it's my hobby so it's a good distraction for me.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't be in a rush and DON'T cut any wires just yet.

How many pins are on the relay and are they all the same size and is there a schematic embossed into the relay housing? I keep a bunch of relays around and I will try and decipher the schematic for you. Don't ask. I like cars and it's my hobby so it's a good distraction for me.
I'm in no rush and I really don't wanna cut wires anyway. I'll pull the relay tomorrow for all that info. But I did post something with the relay above. By the pic I assume it has four pins.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts