Ford Focus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 486 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay well i just picked up a svt focus and i was looking at what my first mod should be and i see alot of people going with toms tune. My question is will i see a better 0-60 time or a better 1/4 mile time with it?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
If you're talking about Tom from Focus Power then you need to check out focusfanatics.com because he is no longer a member of this forum. However, you should see better times with a good tune. Randy from FSWerks would be the guy to go to for tuning on this forum.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Randy will be much easier to deal with for sure, and I'm positive he has a better product too.

·
Registered
745 Posts
If I could do it all over again I would have went with FS Werks and got it right. I had huge problems with tom, and the tune sucked(the car ran better on the stock tune).

·
Registered
560 Posts
I got my tune through FSWerks. These are A+ when it comes to customer service. I'm going to be needing another tune from them once I get my header on.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I tried Toms tune as well and wasn't impressed.

The tune I got from Mike at Unique blows Toms away. Simply no comparison and my SVT was the first SVTF Mike had ever tuned :thumbup:
After all the bluster Tom spits out about priding himself in being "THE most experienced SVTF tuner".... :evilgrin:

·
Imma boob... nuff said.
2,194 Posts
I guess im unique in that I love the tune tom gave me. I went procharged 12+psi and the car runs like its from the factory. Granted Ive never tried randys tune but I'd say they are both viable.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have the FSWerks tune for my ST that I am very happy with it. this Site hates tom for a lot of personal reasons, ****ty tunes not being one of them. Both tunes are good and both has its advantages, I would go to focusfanatic and ask around before you decide.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I have the FSWerks tune for my ST that I am very happy with it. this Site hates tom for a lot of personal reasons, ****ty tunes not being one of them. Both tunes are good and both has its advantages, I would go to focusfanatic and ask around before you decide.
Tom's a thug wearing a diaper. Go tell him you think supercharging is better for you. You will see the real Tom. He's a legend in his own mind. As for FF, he's busy making money off those who don't know there are options to his self proclaimed "superior" tunes. If it weren't for FF and all the newbs he goes after, he'd have disappeared a long time ago. For the few he's managed to treat decently, there are more he's been an ass to. If you like kissing ass, his is the biggest around. You won't find a person as self induced controversial in the Focus community than the meat head.

·
Copying CaysE's mods even before CaysE does them!
2,265 Posts
no need to make this into a tom bashing thread.

i had his tune via predator, and the car felt 10 times better over stock,
sold the predator to go FI and im getting a NA tune from Randy at FSWerks via xcal3
so i will be able to compare them. (went with randys just due to the fact im staying na maybe 2 months so i didnt want to spend the extra 50 bucks for toms)

im going to make slight adjustments on randy's tune (fan activation)
possibly idle other than that it will go untouched.

Tom isnt the easiest guy to get a long with but if you have known him or talked to him for awhile he is cool.
Tom's son is really nice and easy to talk to and work things out with.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I was a happy Tom's tune customer until I sold my supercharged SVT and then sold my unlocked predator to a forum member.

The forum member I sold it to had some questions about the unit when they received it, and I answered his questions and said if he still has concerns he could contact Tom, who would vouch that I had purchased the item from him and that it was a legit Focus SVT Diablo Predator.

Well, the guy went to talk to tom and tom proceeded to spew a bunch of lies to the guy about how the Predator didn't come from him and that if he tried to use it on his car he'd fry his PCM. Tom didn't straighten things out until I called him out publicly on FF about it, then he was all like "oh, it was a misunderstanding, I didn't remember you, or I didn't know that was what he asked....but HOW DARE YOU QUESTION ME!".

I'm over it. I referred dozens of customers his way and met him in person and shook his hand only to have him turn around and bully me when I caught him in a lie because he was trying to sell his own stuff instead of simply vouching that the equipment came from him.

Do business with him at your own risk.

·
Copying CaysE's mods even before CaysE does them!
2,265 Posts
recieved my xcal3 from FSwerks today. loaded it up and started the car.

(now remember i had toms tune on my car, same mods, so im expecting close to the same thing)

my intial thought of when i started the car is ummm ok? :confused:
really really weird idle, lumpy, sounds cammed.

well idle goes down a bit and so i go for a drive.
Hanging revs galore. normal driving and shifting is the same as stock tune, it just hangs and then slowly goes back to normal idle.

driving to the gas station normal, no WOT or getting on it, no high rpms.
the car is sputtery and almost misfire, it feels like its just really rich from about 1500-2500. and at idle it just smell very fuelly.

so not much pick up down there, hearing what sounds like almost misfiring and the weakness of the car down low i was afraid to take it up above 3k, and the hanging revs which are part of the reason i wanted the tune to go away are still there.

maybe i just need to be a little more open minded, but you have to remember the tune i had from tom was awesome.
i can say going from stock tune to Toms i could immediately feel a difference and how good the tune was.

now going from stock tune to randy's it feels worse at idle, sounds worse at idle, maybe a little better than stock tune through 1500-3k but still doesnt pick up like toms.

i can say that i havent really rode the car hard cause i just feel uneasy with the tune after driving around a bit.

but as of now i feel like i should have spent the 50 more dollars and got toms tune.

this isnt bashing FSWerks this isnt Bashing Randy, i have all respect for everyone.
im just stating my experience and etc.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Did you reinstall your stock tune before installing the new tune? I had to do that when I had my '03 SVTF.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Well thanks for the opportunity to look into this. A PM or email would have been nice, but OK. Most of what you are saying is hard to believe, WRCwannabe. I can't make the idle weird and lumpy. Nor can I make it sound cammed. I'm not dropping the idle lower than stock. Hanging revs galore, sputtery...honestly with all of your comments, I really feel like you either didn't give me the correct mod list or you have serious issues with your car.

I'll be happy to take this flasher back and give you a full refund. Please give me a call on Monday to get this going.

1 - 20 of 486 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.