Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have but not being used a set of blue FC crank and water pullies I took out and went back to stock for the SC to spin faster and am waiting on a 2 lb 5.7" crank pulley.

With a turbo, once I finally go that way, is it better to have the smaller FC crank to spin up the engine faster though it runs the water pump slower? Or should I keep the 5.7" thats lite and will run my accesories faster since it will propabaly spin ez since its not 20lbs

·
Dyno Queen
7,859 Posts
Just put the stocker back on, the negligible gains are not worth the potential risks. If you don't want to run the stocker, run the smaller pulleys.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EH the stock is 5" so its not much increase but about 17 pounds less is the main reason. When you say run the smaller ones you mean with the turbo setup?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Re: Question about turbo and crank pulley size vs JRSC crank siz

What he's saying is the 1.75 HP you may gain isn't worth the risk of losing the damping effect of the stocker.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts

I lost more than just the damping effect. I lost my air conditioning, too.

Funny thing is, this summer the A/C is on crack or something - I swear it's working better this summer than any of the previous four summers, and this summer is the hottest of the bunch!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

so a 3" crank FC pulley is ok but a 5.7" lite weight pulley isnt?

why would you lose damping? for the SC it seems like a good idea but I can see where it wouldnt help a turbo

·
Registered
5,141 Posts

the sc is turned faster with the pulley and makes more power from the added boost on a turbo car u get no added boost by the pulleys so its not worth the 1.?? u get when u can just add a pound or 2 of boost and be done

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

but mabye im looking at it wrong, if the 5' stock is 15 lbs and the 5.7 is 2, i should be able to spin up a bit faster due to weight as opposed to the 3" crank that spins up fast but drives the components slower ( or maybe not the water pulley is bigger(but if that was the case why do you have to take off the small crank pulley if the bigger water pulley makes up for it in size and rotation sppeed when you gp SC))

learned 1st hand cause forgot the swap out the FC pullies

·
Registered
11,368 Posts

taking 10 or 13 pounds from your pulley is not going to help much. Because the diameter is so small, the crank pulley is not difficult to turn. It is different than taking 20 pounds from a flywheel. Same idea, but the flywheel has a much larger diameter.

A light crank pully isn't going to help much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts