Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get everyone’s opinion on NASA’s TT Format.

I know it’s a little different then other Time Attack Series. It was setup to bridge the gap between HPDE and Wheel-to-Wheel Racing. It’s also more of a preparation for drivers who want to get into racing; which one of the reason NASA uses the Qualifying Type Sessions.

But, how do you guys feel about the setup?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
There were a lot of cars in the group, even more when instructors would hop in. Pretty sure it was 46 on a 2.6 mile course. Some over aggression resulted when a slow car was passing a slower car.

I think Sunday went really well when we gridded up by lap times. The lead car would wait until everyone was on the track before getting up to full speed which let us get 2-4 clean laps in.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey Ted, well I was fortunate enough to start right out in road racing (thanks dad), so this was my first experience at TT. All in all I thought it was a great way for a person to start out in a controled atmosphere with instrutors to help the learning curve of what it takes to go fast. And the way the stepping system works to get from HDPE1 to TT seems like a good way for a person to slowly build a car to a set class rules without having to make the initial investment to build a full out race car. And now with the new PT classes it actually gives you a place to take that car you built and race wheel to wheel. I had fun just getting track time and learning a new track, I would say NASA's on the right path with its system. But I'll take a door to door race anyday!!!!

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
I agree ... there were a lot of cars. A wide range of power on-track at the same time. Many were prep'd to a much higher level than I had anticipated too.

It really seemed like a free-for-all at first, but once everyone had a chance to figure out their car and the others on track it seemed to go well. Would have liked to have been a part of the Sunday gridding ...

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are do pre-gridding now in SoCal, but it's new to other regions. Once Greg visits all the regions and gets them all on the same page it will be better. Pre-Gridding in the key when there's a lot of cars.

The Ohio Region had a pretty good size TT series last year, but this year their changing the way they have done things in the past. It's NASA goal to have every region run the same way and be on the same page.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
As I was watching and talking to a couple of other perticipents some felt (as I did) there needs to be a MORE amature class that takes into consideration alot of peoples "lack" of track time.

I have a fairly descent setup to use, but I lack the experience needed for a wheel to wheel event like Mid O...... WAY to many cars on the track at one time for the lesser skilled drivers to deal with... IMO

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is kinda of normal for the first event. Normally the lesser skill driver will drop down or be ask to drop after the first event. No matter how will NASA screens the drivers, you'll have someone that will not tell the truth on their past driving exp. Now, people who have started in the NASA HPDE program will have an advantage at first.

Also, you will see throught out the seasons, drivers getting better and better. I'm sure you could even see that around Sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I don't run the NASA Ohio/In TT's because:

The SVT is too slow in comparison so you are always adjusting to let someone pass.
The others seem to mostly have more safety equipment (cages etc.) and I get the sense they are not looking out for everyone elses best interest as far as crowding.
The group4 and TT at the same time presents conflicting interest as well as the great speed differential.

I would think that staging by times would be very benificial. I would like to experience that to judge.

The Focus Challenge at BeaveRun last year was an awsome experience. Probably because the track was not full of cars, with a lot of speed differential.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think having group4 and TT at the same time presents conflicting interest at all. But, once each region has more and more TT drivers you'll see TT have it's own group.

I also don't see how an SVT is too slow, It is a TTE car, and it should be. I've ran a pretty much stock 2.3L Focus in TTF.

Now, that being said, Mid-Ohio has made changes on how they have done things in the past. They are now changing it to the way we do things here in SoCal which has a great safety record in there HPDE/TT programs.

I believe that NASA has the best TT format for drivers that want to get experience on the track with a lot of different speeds and cars. This is what sets NASA TT apart from the rest.

But, you commit is noted. I understand that this high level of driving isn't for everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts