Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for those with 17\'s

I really like the ride of my ZX3 with the 16inch wheels and don't want to loose it. If I go to 17inch wheels how will it ride? I am not going to lower it just upgrade the wheels as long as the ride will not get ruff. Can you guys give me some insight?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Re: Question for those with 17\'s

i got 17" wheels and nothing as far a ruff rides, but my gas mpg went down, Im lucky if i can get 260 outta a tank of gas

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

I've got my stock 16's which I run in the winter months and the ride is great, very smooth yet still handles nicely.

I've got 17's on 205/40-17 tires and the ride is fairly good to be honest, however the ride IS slightly rougher because I'm running such a low-profile tire which I have to due to the severe drop on my car. Cornering on the 17's is much nicer and tighter than the 16's, but that's due to the much lower profile tire. However, hit a bump with such a low-profile tire and you feel it through the whole car...very rough when compared to hitting a bump on a taller profile tire.

Bottom line is...rim size really doesn't effect ride quality so much as the tire size you choose to run on it.

·
Registered
766 Posts

I know this doesn't apply to you at the moment but if you do decide to lower the car and/or get coilovers and the like you will definitely feel the difference. I rolled with FK coilovers and 215/45/17 for a year. Can you say bumpy?
Anyway, went back to stock 15's for the ride as well as the wheel weight, plus I was over the whole big wheel without upgraded brakes thing. AND My 17's were CRAZY heavy!

To summarize: Even with out a suspension set up like mine, you WILL feel a difference. What is acceptable and what is not, only you can decide.

Good luck on your decision.

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts

Mine felt a tad bit slower in acceleration when I went from the stock 16's to the SVT 17's with 215/45's.

Ride quality didn't get any worse that I could tell.

·
Registered
350 Posts

I felt slower acceleration and a little bit less braking... nothing big but you will feel the difference... maybe i just need to change my brakes and that will fix the problem... i got a low profile tire, and yes, you will feel the holes a little bit more than with the regular 16s.

·
Registered
766 Posts

Houston's streets are so ruff that I don't think I should chance it. I am now leaning towards just chroming the 16's or just getting another pair of 16's that look a bit more sporty.
Paint/powdercoat those suckers!

·
Registered
645 Posts

Go with a 205-45 17 tire. The ride is pretty nice.

·
Registered
431 Posts

My car is lowered about 1.25" with the Eibach pro kit (springs and dampers). I run my stock 16's in the winter, and 215/45/17's in the summer and I cannot tell a difference in ride quality between the two. Tire size is the biggest factor in ride quality IMO.

On another note, I'm shocked at the bad MPG numbers some people on here get. The least I ever see is about 310 miles out of a tank, and that is with my 17's. Maybe I just don't flog my car enough.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts