Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for you coilover guru\'s

I have been pondering what to do about my suspension for the next summer season of AutoXing. I have a nearly stock SVT and I run in STS class with no power mods. I am not much for bolt-on's so I decided to go with the suspension upgrade but I want to do it right. I am looking at two options:

H&R (non PCS) coilovers
Blistein PSS9 coilovers

The H&R I can get at cost from my friend's family's import shop, though I still haven't found out how much cheaper it would be. The Blistein PSS9 I would have to pay full prize for since my friend does not sell Blistein product, at least to my knowledge. I am not sure if my friend is able to get the H&R PCS coilovers or just the regular H&R's with ride height adjustablity only. I am not interested in slamming my car to the ground, I just want the best suspension that I will utilize when autoXing. So I was wondering on what your opinions would be on these, save alittle bit of money and get a very respected brand for ride height ajustability only or go all out and get another respected brand name with full adjustablity but not get a discount and spend another few hundred dollars.

I have alot of time to make my final choice on this purchase and even more time to make the money to pay for it but I just like to plan ahead. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Question for you coilover guru\'s

bump

·
Registered
71 Posts

I've been really pleased with my FK Highsports, especially since they were $800 including shipping. Not sure about auto cross, but they've worked well at Watkins Glen and Mid-Ohio for driver's ed schools. I have my rears a little lower than front to give the car a level look. I did get the rear camber bolts so both front and rear are around -2.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks, anyone else have some info?

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts

Bilstien and H&R are the same thing. Just the colors are different. H&R has Bilstien dampeners and Bilstien has H&R springs. The only difference is maybe a different setting to make them not exactly the same.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

It's sorta true what jinstall said. The springs on both sets are made by H&R and the struts on both by Bilstein. The difference between the two are that H&R will make the springs to the spec that Bilstein wants and Bilstein will make the struts to the spec that H&R wants. So you'll end up with different spring rates and strut designs between the two sets.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts

Bilstien and H&R are the same thing. Just the colors are different. H&R has Bilstien dampeners and Bilstien has H&R springs. The only difference is maybe a different setting to make them not exactly the same.
Well, I thought they were going to be clones, but even by appearance they are clearly not. Look at the photos.

For one.......the bilsteins have a tender spring, and conventional spring set-up up front, and not the progressive "cone" spring of the H&R.

For two.....the rear dampers in the Bilstein set-up mount upside down (that is the damper body is on top, the shaft mounts to the control arm).

Why? probably nothing more than to contribute, along with valving and rate differences, to distinctiveness between the two choices.

But again, they are not nearly the same as I first suspected.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks for the responses guys, but my question was not what the differences are between the two, but rather what would you go with in my situation. I have been reading alot on coilovers since I bought my car over a year ago. So again, I will restate my original question, should I go through my friend and get the regular (non PCS) H&R coilovers for a discounted price or pay alittle extra and get the Blistein PSS9 coilovers without a discount. I truly appreciate the all of your input so far guys.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Well honestly I am a little biased because I am a poor college student with a passion for autocrossing. Anyway, I would go with the H&R's (good company I have had H&Rs on two cars now) and take them to a place that will corner balance your car, preferably with you in it, and your set. looking back on things now thats probibly what I would have done but I have the H&R sports with the externally adjustable Konis all the way around. (cut a little flap over the rears and bam changed in seconds, which really makes a diffrence). Well thats my 2 cents and hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks, I am kind of leaning toward that too. H&R has been around a long time and I know they will serve me well when on the track. Anyone else have some opinions though, I still am wondering what everyone is thinking on this.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

I went with the PSS9's because of Bilsteins reputation and they've been around probably the longest of all. The PSS9's were cheaper than the H&R PCS coiolvers at regular retail for what I would imagine would be the same level of performance. My brother has also had good results with Bilstein shocks and struts on his '97 Cobra.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with either setup. So the questions really are:
1. Will you EVER see a point in time where damper adjustment will be necessary?
2. What's more important to you? Price or adjustability!

Personally the way you've described it, getting a discount on the H&R's, it's a no brainer. Go with the proven H&R's. I don't think the Bilsteins have a whole lot to prove, but the H&R's are definately tried and true in the focus community!

·
Registered
6,553 Posts

One important difference I see between the bilsteins and H&R kits is the amount of drop. I mean the h&r's minimum drop is just a little bit higher than the bilstein's max drop if I remember correctly and depending on where you drive and if it's your only car can be a huge deciding factor. If I had the money the h&r's wouldn't even be an option, bilstein's would.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with either setup. So the questions really are:
1. Will you EVER see a point in time where damper adjustment will be necessary?
2. What's more important to you? Price or adjustability!

Personally the way you've described it, getting a discount on the H&R's, it's a no brainer. Go with the proven H&R's. I don't think the Bilsteins have a whole lot to prove, but the H&R's are definately tried and true in the focus community!
Yeah, I have come to that conclusion as well, but I am kind of curious what the regular H&R's would compare to what dampening level of the Blistein's. Thanks for all of your input guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts