Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I see that alot of people have installed aftermarket underdrive pulleys. I have a couple questions, since I am not a motorhead by any stretch of the imagination;
1. What is the benefit?
2. How difficult of a mod is this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
646 Posts
an underdrive pulley kit will do 1 or 2 things to make power. First, it will (as it name implys) underdrive belt driven accessories, which frees up hp/tq by causing less parasitic drag on the crank. 2nd, most of the after market crank UDPs are lighter than their OEM counterpart, and by removing that weight frees up "Rotational Mass" which in turn lets more power go to the wheels.

Dificulty level is tricky. How's your mechanical ability?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am pretty mechanical... and can follow good directions.
I couldn't just sit down and do it without directions though

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
I would counter than not a lot of people have swapped out their UDP on the Duratec. A few who I can recall that did, did not have a working engine when they were done.

There are other things you can do to make similar power gains. I would save the UDP till last or have someone who is qualified and has the right tools and experience do it. If you screw it up, it's definitely not worth it.

>8^)
ER

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
My understanding is that the difficulty level isn't THAT bad, it's just that the risk is PLENTY bad enough to make up for it.

The crank-shaft isn't keyed, so if you undo the bolt holding the pulley, and the crank shaft then turns & you don't realize it or get it exactly right on reassembly, you'll need to rebuild your whole engine because the pistons & valves will collide the first time you try to start your engine.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
The Oreonic device is correct.

Bad things can happen. Not worth it for a street car.

You'll realize a far greAter reduction of parasitic drag with a BS delete if you have a D23.

Benny's description of slightly measurable benefits is entirely correct, though.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
"Oreonic device"??? WTF! I feel like such a tool.

·
19,806 Posts
Certainly did not intend to make you feel like a to0l.

My apologies.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Certainly did not intend to make you feel like a to0l.

My apologies.

Tools can be painful.

In my mind a nice light weight pulley set that would allow the engine to rev up quicker, and not nessicarily show big gains on the dyno would be ok.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
In my mind a nice light weight pulley set that would allow the engine to rev up quicker, and not nessicarily show big gains on the dyno would be ok.
And wouldn't slow your water pump or alternator, making it a good choice indeed.

·
19,806 Posts
And wouldn't slow your water pump or alternator, making it a good choice indeed.

For a streeter.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Smaller crank pulley + bigger water pump pulley means water pump spins just as fast per rpm as it did before. The alternator and other accessories spin slower.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Sure. But the kit doesn't come with a bigger water pump pulley.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
You mean Smaller crank pulley & SMALLER water pump pulley. You have to keep the ratio the same.

"Ladies!! You need more than a man! That's right, you need a tool- a POWER tool! Get all your pleasures, find all your wildest dreams with the BIG O...reonic device! Let OREO put the CREAM in your chocolate cookie!"

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
You mean Smaller crank pulley & SMALLER water pump pulley. You have to keep the ratio the same.

"Ladies!! You need more than a man! That's right, you need a tool- a POWER tool! Get all your pleasures, find all your wildest dreams with the BIG O...reonic device! Let OREO put the CREAM in your chocolate cookie!"

·
19,806 Posts
good lord what have i done...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts