Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Well it appears I'm going to be doing the responsible thing soon and getting an 'economy' car to save money for the family(waiting on the '04 with the 2.3l obviously). Now with that said I've got some questions about modding these suckers

I currently drive a Dodge Dakota R/T. It's got a 5.9l in it and most cars I've had in the past have always had the big engines them. As a side note I think the space shuttle gets better gas mileage then my truck.

Anyway since I've never had a car like this to mod I've got a few questions.

1. How reliable are these 'high-rev' cars? I'm not use to getting all the power in the upper RPM range like these things put out so does this affect the life of the engine if you play hard with it? I know the 2.3l hasn't been out long enough to answer this but other engines of this type. I know my 5.9l has a pretty proven track record of running it hard and having it still perform.

2. I've heard a few people talk about the intake manifold on these cars being weak. Are there any aftermarket ones that are more sturdy? That's one of the first things to change on my truck. Let more air in then the ole beer barrel we have.

3. PCM replacement? I've seen the info on the diablo-chip but doesn't anyone make(or in the process of making) a replacement computer? One that removes the rev limiter, speed limiter, helps out with those pesky emissions laws, etc. The diablo chip is just a piggy back isn't it? And from what I gathered you have to tell them what mods you have to get it flashed. That means that if you continue to mod your car you would have to get a whole new chip if you bought one in the early modding process. Why would I want to wait until I was done modding the car to get the chip to remove those limits? A MOPAR PCM for my truck removes all that and helps with a few other things. You have to run premium in it after the upgrade to keep from detonation but it's worth it for the performance gains.

Guess that's it for the moment. Maybe I was just overlooking the answers I was searching for so I appreciate any answers you guys(and gals) can help me with.

Later,
Shawn

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Well, A 2.3l won't feel like a 5.9l, but I think you'll be pleasently surprised with how quick the car really is.

1. I really wouldn't car the 2.3l (or the Zetec in most cases) a high-rev engine. (in my mind, the S2000's engine is a high rev engine) I haven't played with shift points yet, but I can say is torque falls fast after about 4500 RPMs, and max power is around 5600 RPMs, and only slips a little up to 6750 max RPMs. A Dyno. So, this isn't an engine where you have to keep the rev's up high to get power out of it.

2. I haven't heard about it for the 2.3l. I've heard of some on the Zetec blowing because of a nitrous backfire. Its too early to say if its "weak". Its also looks like the exact same manifold found on the Mazda 6i. Currently, no aftermarket replacement exists.

3. Right now, there are no chips for the 2.3l in the Focus. Focus Sport is working on one, but the Black Oak ECU found in this and the SVT is much harder to crack than in the other Focuses. Just give it time.

Currently, for the engine there are is a UDP kit and throttle body availible, and a header in the works that should be availible soon. Companies like Duratec Performance, Focus Central, and Focus Sport have stepped up to the plate to provide for this engine.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Helps alot thanks.

Yeah I knew it's not going to feel like the 'big bad' ole V8 but I've seen some 1/4 mile times of these lil 4 bangers and some of these guys are impressive. Saw a 12 second neon not too long ago and it wasn't an SRT-4.

Anyway I just want something that gets very good gas mileage, fairly inexpensive, and something I can play around with as well. The Focus seems to fit the bill for what I am looking for.

I test drive the SVT Focus and it was nice. I know it's got a different suspension and options then the ZX3 or ZX5 but I think I'll be happy enough with a base model.

·
Registered
723 Posts
you wouldn't happen to be registered as DaPurpleRT on clubrsx would you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope but I know who you are talking about from the Delphi R/T board and he was getting hot with some folks over at the SRT-4 Forum. Go into War Stories over there and look for the 23 page thread on the Ram SRT-10 vs Lightning and go to page 15 or so I think it where it starts.

Funny reading

Later,
Shawn

·
Registered
860 Posts
Im about to hit 12,000 (Like 11,920 as I type this , I think)...And I can vouch for the durability thus far...I beat the piss out of this car...Just like I do to my Ranger (51,xxx miles so far)...My car has been mildly modded, then returned to stock for some warranty issues (not engine-related), but once the new parts get here itll be back to getting modded...
DaPurpleRT...I know him from Ranger Power Sports...Heh...Anyways...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts