Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know how most of those Lamborghini, porsche, and ferrari replicas are just Fieros or MR-2's under the sheetmetal? I know that most of the time you register them with the state and insurance as the donor car. are there any major inspections that need to be made on these?

My real question is this: How are dune buggies and sandrails registered, licensed, and insured if they're built off a donor platform? I know I see plenty of them with actual kansas plates out here. I'm thinking of taking a vehicle and stripping it of the majority of it's body, and building a TIG welded tube frame for it, dune buggy style. What all safety equipment is needed? I plan on putting racing seats in it, and probably 5-point harnesses, but there may be more than 2 seats on it. I know I'll need headlights, tail lights, a horn, turn signals, brake lights, and I will probably need to keep the airbag (driver side only on the donor), is that all I need to be concerned about? will it still be licensed and insured as if it were the original vehicle as long as most of the VIN plates are still present?

7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there's no sniffy sniff test, but I think there is a test of safety systems when you register the vehicle.

okay I give in. The vehicle in question is my 1989 ford Aerostar. It's registered right now. Would gutting it be legal?!? Some have told me it needs a front windshield, and head protection, i.e. a rollcage, which I planned on doing. I would leave the stock exhaust alone. I would re-position the radiator the the rear of the vehicle, but the floorpan, suspension, frame, drivetrain, engine, intake and exhaust should remain stock (except for some lowering of the suspension) on this thing if I do it the way I want to.

7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the windows don't roll down, the A/C doesn't hold a charge, the doors don't lock, the back door doesn't like to open or close too easily, it's got a REALLY good engine in it (160,000 original miles, never had to do ANYTHING wierd to it ever except spark plugs), a decent tranny (recently re-built), new alternator, plugs and wires, and u-joints on the driveshaft. It gets okay gas mileage and it pulls like a mutha. I hate to see it go, but I can't help but think how fun it would be to lose that heat-trap of a body and make some sort of buggy contraption out of it. I might be able to still pull a trailer with it too. That'd be funny to see a buggy pulling a trailer with something on it, instead of seeing a truck pulling a buggy on a trailer.

[ 04-27-2003, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: ax0n ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.