Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I drove a 2003 RSX type s....This is a cool car, i liked it, nice drive. Driving the RSX showed how much the svt lacks in torq and throttle reponse. On the handeling side, we have that. THE svt handels so much nicer, better steering response. Have not ran them against each other yet, but I think my question was answered. Any drag race, 1/4, 1/8. light to light the RSX will win...not by much but will win. ANy cornering or auto x the SVT will have no problem taking the RSX. But if you really thinks about racing around corners?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Actually, their torque characteristics are nearly identical. The rsx just has a much more rev happy engine. The engine is a lot smoother and has more power. The stock tires give it no justice though. My friend has a type-s and he upgraded the tires to kumho 712's; much better grip.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Yes, despite the discrepencies in times from C&D, I was honestly surprised to do more than just hang with a type-S. Then again, I do have a couple mods.. What did C&D claim in the compact comparo last year? 6.7 to 60 for the RSX-S? Either the SVT figure was underrated in it's times, or the RSX was overrated.. I'm kind of thinking the latter, because there sure as hell isn't a 1 second difference. I'd really like to drive a type-S tho.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Today I drove a 2003 RSX type s....This is a cool car, i liked it, nice drive. Driving the RSX showed how much the svt lacks in torq and throttle reponse. On the handeling side, we have that. THE svt handels so much nicer, better steering response. Have not ran them against each other yet, but I think my question was answered. Any drag race, 1/4, 1/8. light to light the RSX will win...not by much but will win. ANy cornering or auto x the SVT will have no problem taking the RSX. But if you really thinks about racing around corners?
I think that's a fairly accurate review, except for the torque statement. And yes, all I think about is racing around the corners!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
The rsx-s has a really nice interior. The fit and finish + honda reliablity add a lot to the value of that car I think. I sill love my svtf tho

·
Registered
751 Posts
The RSX does have a nice interior, but I think ours in even nicer. Maybe the fit and finish isn't quite there, but every time I get a compliment on my car, the first thing to come out of the guy/girls mouth is how much they like the seats in my car

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: SVTF vs. RSX-S

I've driven both but it's the SVTF that got my $$$$. RSX is nice and since it's built in Japan, it is better screwed together. Also has 30 more hp, but for that you pay a big price difference. In my case, 7 to 8 grand more. But overall balance and character of the SVTF gets me......plus I think it is better looking too!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Re: SVTF vs. RSX-S

I almost regret buying an SVT over the RSX-S, but who wants to be called a rice boy? Seriously Its a very cool car and if I test drove one before I bought the SVT I may have bought it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No torque and throttle response is all in the computer. I had mine reprogrammed (fordchip) and it drives like a different car. More like 170 horsepower should.

·
Registered
242 Posts
No torque and throttle response is all in the computer. I had mine reprogrammed (fordchip) and it drives like a different car. More like 170 horsepower should.
If this is true then give us the juicy details.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Its not a chip. You have to send in you computer, and send your list of mods. They can reset your rev limiter with a list of other things to match up with you mods. Its just a reflash on the computer. This even helps with stock cars that have no mods, but I would think the more mods you have the more power they can squezze. They quoted me 275 for a reflash. I told them I want my redline to be 8.5...but I would never go that high.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: FordChip????????

What Ford Chip??? Are you referring to flashing RLA-6?? or// do tell us........

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Re: FordChip????????

Same principle as rla6 as it is a reflash on the computer. go to fordchip.com. after you look around give them a call and they will give you more info on it. You have to send them your ecu, so you wont be able to drive your car till you get your ecu back from them. Apparently they cant get too much hp out of our cars, but the trq gains have been really nice. check them out, after my jrsc is installed, i plan on seeing what they can do for me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: Fordchip.com

Thanks infrared.......emailed them from the site.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Re: Fordchip.com

I did the same thing a few weeks ago, emailed them, took a couple of days for them to respond. After that I just started calling them up. They have great customer service. Hope you find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Too bad you can't get the juicy HP numbers out of a SVTF like you can with an RSX-S:

M62 JRSC, 5lbs, DC CAI, Hondata tuning

Actually, having driven both the SVT Comp and the RSX, I prefer the RSX overall. The fit and finish, the gearbox, the way the car handles, etc. And lets not forget resale value
Yeah, my friend has a type-s, he was looking at a 300h.p na package that included the hondata
. Too bad it is way too expensive.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Too bad you can't get the juicy HP numbers out of a SVTF like you can with an RSX-S:

M62 JRSC, 5lbs, DC CAI, Hondata tuning

Actually, having driven both the SVT Comp and the RSX, I prefer the RSX overall. The fit and finish, the gearbox, the way the car handles, etc. And lets not forget resale value
Yeah, my friend has a type-s, he was looking at a 300h.p na package that included the hondata
. Too bad it is way too expensive.
Dammit...why is it soo freakin easy for every other car to get gobs of power...just lealous...I love mycar to death and wouldn't drive anything else. Unless Enzo dropped by

CCC

1 - 20 of 27 Posts