Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought i understood what it was but then read something else and got lost again

is it when the coil isnt able produce enough spark in an FI app

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Most of the time it is when the plugs are gapped too tall and the boost blows the spark out.

Gap the plugs down a little at a time until the problem goes away.

That is the only meaning I know of, anything else would be news to my ears.

- Drew

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah thats sounds like my 1st understanding

thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
maybe a fi guru should explain how one would tell if you are experiencing spark blowout. i sure don't know.

·
Dyno Queen
7,859 Posts
maybe a fi guru should explain how one would tell if you are experiencing spark blowout. i sure don't know.
Stumbling and sputtering, especially in high rpms are indications of spark blow out.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
What should one gap plugs at for a jrsc?

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
When I upped the boost to 10psi on my JRSC, I expecrienced spark blowout badly.

Gapped them down to .033 and it worked great since!

- Drew

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
think of it like this:

In a vaccuum, electricity can jump large distance easily. there simply aren't enough molecules in the way to require higher voltage.

At standard temperature and pressure, you need about 25,000 volts to get electricity to jump one inch.

At higher pressure, you need to gap even smaller.

At higher pressure, even more so.

The reasoning: there simply are that many more molecules for the electricity to go thru / around.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how do you know when you have under gapped and the burn isnt sufficient any more, not that its gone but more its not burning the fuel enough, such as the SD coil and Live wires say up to .065 on NA, OEM on SVT is like .052

so when does it become to small of a gap?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
how do you know when you have under gapped and the burn isnt sufficient any more, not that its gone but more its not burning the fuel enough, such as the SD coil and Live wires say up to .065 on NA, OEM on SVT is like .052

so when does it become to small of a gap?
I had problems on the dyno because my dumb-ass left my plugs gapped big due to using the SD coil and Live wires. It was sputtering/missing and after gapping them down to .030 the problem disappeared.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im at oem svt .052 now not too much of a problem byt i guess its good to that small at least

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I'm running .035 with 19psi, I may regap them in a couple of days.... but I'm not having any problems.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So would you be re gapping down or open it up a bit more?

Also had a question about the step cooler plugs, how are denso plugs when it comes to this, still have to gap that small and does the step or 2 cooler help?

·
Dyno Queen
7,859 Posts
Tighter to stop blow out.

Colder plugs do not help a plugs tendancy to blow out.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
msd dis-2 ignition or kennebell boost-a-spark.
I looked at the $$$ and Ill stick with my SD coil for now

1 - 20 of 20 Posts